Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Comp Cams/ FRPP Intake Manifold - Worse 1/4mile Times?! Wth..

Old 08-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Default Comp Cams/ FRPP Intake Manifold - Worse 1/4mile Times?! Wth..

Hey Guys,

My car and its modifications are in my sig.
The only mods i've added are 127200 NSR Comp Cams/ FRPP Intake Manifold and an ATI Super Damper.

I've put 100miles on it and took her to the track today.
My best time before these mods was 12.8xx with 1.9xx 60ft.
Other info on this time: Unprepped Track, Fully Stripped Interior, Hoosier tires, Skinnies, 120Octane VP Unleaded Race fuel. Track Temp: 34 degrees celcius

My tune is from Brenspeed (updated for cams) and my best time today (made atleast 15 passes) was 13.12 with a 2.08 60ft . Again, Unprepped Track, Fully Stripped Interior, Hoosier Tires, Skinnies, first passes on 87octane torco mix, after 120Octane Vp Unleaded Race fuel (best time was with this). The tune is for 93 octane, i adjust it a little when using racefuel.(Global Spark, More fuel). Track conditions we're the same today, Temp was around 29 degrees celcius

I have a FAST Wideband, and i'm seeing a slight bigger difference than between the left and right bank. For instance at part throttle cruising 14.5 / 15.4. My Mechanic says it is the way the fuellines run with the new Intake Manifold. (My A/F is good at WOT, around 12.7)

Beyond that, we had to the replace the belts because the original one didnt fit with the new super damper. We used a Gates belt. Sometimes when letting off the gas after WOT i hear a screeching sound for a quick second or 2.

I've never put the car on the dyno before. But i'm going to do so this tuesday to see how much power i'm making. I was expecting to "feel" a difference after the cam and intake, however it feels the same.

I'm hoping to get some feedback on what happened today or if someone could refer me to a shop to give me some professional advice. I'm somewhat disappointed in Comp and Brenspeed. I called them not to blame them at all, but both companies got defensive real quick. Comp told me to talk to the tuner, the tuner (i called before i went to the track) told me that it wasn't the tune. In the mean time, i'm left was answers like take it to a shop to have it looked at, ... so before someone advises me on that part, i'm in South America, Suriname, 0 performance shops here. Would appreciate if someone could refer me to a shop that would take its time to brainstorm with me, i'm willing to pay the shop for "consultation" as i'm left feeling pretty down about how today went especially since there's no one knowledgeable i can turn to locally.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Explosive

Was the car getting good traction? I notice it's an unprepped track?

Also I see it's a stalled automatic, have you played with both foot braking as well as flashing it?
Old 08-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Gear ratio and cam match up?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:11 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

I have 3.73 Ford Racing Gears and 127200 Cams, I adjusted the tune with the xcal for these. And what brenspeed has advised.

No traction it's bad, i have trouble getting it below 2.0 but then again my traction was bad as well when i ran my 12.8 .... it hasnt improved nor gotten worse. As far as technique goes,... done everything "true stall" 2800rpm launch, 1200rpm, 2000rpm, flash stalling...
Old 08-17-2014, 01:39 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I have the 127200 cams and gained 28hp and only 7 ft-lb torque to the tires, I had the stock manifold though. Where is it shifting? I think you would want to have it shift at 6500, my chart peaked after 6000 with the cams. Also, 2.08 vs 1.9x 60', leaving at least a couple tenths on the table with the launch. What is the trap comparison between the before and after runs?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

It could be a lot of things causing those slower ETs. DA between the runs, changes that have been made needing adjustments, etc. I'd say run it again under good weather conditions before you stress it too much. If it doesn't get better I'd get it on a dyno and see what that tune looks like.

Last edited by Stone629; 08-17-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

i think the stock shift points were 6375, it's set at 6475 rpm right now.
should i perhaps set them higher?

trap speed was around 168km/h, basically the same as before
Old 08-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mellowdien
i think the stock shift points were 6375, it's set at 6475 rpm right now.
should i perhaps set them higher?

trap speed was around 168km/h, basically the same as before
I would. I shifted my old S197 at 6500. Don't go to high though, you're still on stock valve springs. But with those cams, surely you're making power up to a higher rpm. My suggestion to you is to get it dyno tuned. It's going to be nothing short of a guessing game until you do. Bama got you running safely, nothing more.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

@Stone629, I'm not in the US, not tuningshops etc here. Brenspeed made this tune. But before the cams i was also running a brenspeed tune, which i presume they also made safely, but i was still able to run high 12's...

What has me upset most is not even the fact that i havent improved(this also) but that my times have gotten worse
Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Explosive

What mph were you crossing the beams at before and after these new mods?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comp Cams/ FRPP Intake Manifold - Worse 1/4mile Times?! Wth..