Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Launch

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 08:25 AM
dragman72
2nd Gear Member

Default Launch

I am still getting used too my new car (very different from all the others I have had over the years) and I am probably going to take her up the track in the next week or two. here is the problem:
When launching in 1st I run out the gear but I can't shift it into 2nd until the RPM's drop below 6 grand. so I have to granny shift the hell out of it and shift SLOW or it just wont go. don't have the problem with any other gear I can run it up too 8 grand and shift no problem.
I can launch in 2nd but it's just not as quick (still breaks the tires loose if you don't time the clutch just right)
So is it me or the tranny? should I just start in 2nd for racing or look further into this?
Old 06-12-2015, 12:18 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Somethings up with your clutch or transmission if it wont shift correctly. You should be able to snap off a 1-2 shift at redline no problem. Don't bother with a second gear launch. It'll just slow you down and it's hard on the clutch. I'd get it looked at before I tried to race it.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:52 PM
dragman72
2nd Gear Member

It's a Hurst short throw. Do you think it maybe a synchronizer or something like that. The car has .410's so I don't use first all that often.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:10 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

I don't know much about those cars, but maybe some emissions thing? I remember some older corvettes had a "skip shift". I've just never heard of this sort of thing on a stang.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:23 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dragman72
It's a Hurst short throw. Do you think it maybe a synchronizer or something like that. The car has .410's so I don't use first all that often.
With the 4.10s that will benefit a drag race launch and you want to use first. It sounds like it could be the clutch is not disengaging in the high RPM range in first gear. Could also be the 1/2 syncros. I know in my old SRT-4 I would have a real hard time getting the car into 2nd and 3rd gear. It was always the clutch going bad. My SRT-4 seen a lot of 5 grand clutch drops on slicks so I was pretty hard on clutchs.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

My GTO was hard to shift at high RPM, but it was a hydraulic clutch and was a problem with there not being enough fluid getting through on time. You shouldn't be having that problem though. I agree with what Blue suggested. Go get it looked at, somethings wrong unless you are doing something wrong and not realizing it.

Also, stop taking off in 2nd gear. And NEVER launch in 2nd. You're just begging for a burnt clutch doing that.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:26 AM
dragman72
2nd Gear Member

It's going in next week to get looked over.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:21 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Are you sure you aren't hitting the limiter?
Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
My GTO was hard to shift at high RPM, but it was a hydraulic clutch and was a problem with there not being enough fluid getting through on time. You shouldn't be having that problem though. I agree with what Blue suggested. Go get it looked at, somethings wrong unless you are doing something wrong and not realizing it.

Also, stop taking off in 2nd gear. And NEVER launch in 2nd. You're just begging for a burnt clutch doing that.
I just saw that part about 2nd gear. Unless you are bringing the car on a trailer, I wouldn't do this. 600 ish hp and dumping the clutch is a terrific way to grenade a transmission,
Old 06-20-2015, 12:49 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

I read about a guy on another forum with 3.90s and 700+ hp launching in 2nd and was wondering about that.

Quick Reply: Launch