Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Finally got the turbo 3.7 to the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:11 PM
JimC

Default Finally got the turbo 3.7 to the track

Took it to the track today, finally. After blowing up twice was a little concerned about taking it WOT but we have been working on the tuning and figuring out what is causing the overboosting. Didn't get it to the track before because it blew up during tuning before I could get it there.

Not as quick as I wanted, yet. But as my friend John said "at least the car was able to drive home!"

The staff never said anything about my times and lack of a roll bar even though all 4 were quicker than 13.49. Best I could get was 12.5 today. The tune needs some tweaks, the shifts weren't nice and crisp and the 2-3 shift was "lazy" almost like it was hunting. I data logged each pass though and sent it and the time slips off to MPT along with my thoughts.

Name:  9-13-2015%20Lapeer_zpsyikycyck.jpg
Views: 26993
Size:  96.9 KB

They run brackets on Sunday and test and tune is before they brackets start and then in between heats. But they ran brackets twice before letting us get back out again so I decided that 4 passes was sufficient for data logging.

I also was running with a full tank of gas, and couldn't get my front skinnies on the car. The passenger side gave me issues. One of the lug nuts was jammed in the wheel and would not thread or go far enough on even to start. So I need to pull it out of the wheel and figure out what is going on with that one. Had to run the stock front wheels and tires.

And on the stock converter I can't get enough RPM to build boost on the line. It comes on rather quickly at launch though with almost 5 lbs in the 60'. It spiked up to 8 lbs once, but usually was around 6 or 7 (still double the spring rate, but where I wanted the car to be). Bringing the RPM's up was overpowering the brakes and pushing me, not enough to break the beams before the green but couldn't hold back easily. So need to check the pads and rotors.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:21 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Looks like you were on street tires? The MPH says 11s once it's all dialed in.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:16 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Yep, very impressive MPH, congrats
Old 09-14-2015, 09:22 AM
JimC

Thanks, not on street tires for the back. Had my Mickey Thompson ET Street 275-50x15 on the back. Fronts were street tires because one of the lug nuts got jammed in my front skinnnies - so I need to get it out of the wheel and figure out what caused it to jam in there.

On the stock converter so can't really bring the RPM up as much as I'd like. And when I got over 1500 RPM it started to push through as it built boost. I'm not sure if it is just time to replace the rotors and pads to be more bite. Still working on the suspension settings for the Koni yellows as well.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:21 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I agree with Blue, you've got 11s in it. Sounds like you just need a little more tuning/tweeking and definitely a bigger stall. Check your lug nut dimensions, it may not be cooperating with those drag skinnies. I know on my Z28, the original Z28 lugs wouldn't work with SS wheels, well some would and some wouldn't. They would get jammed on there. I switched to a shorter lug and that fixed it.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:40 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

12s are still quick. Did you make a baseline pass when the car was stock?

Also has Lapeer changed at all in the last few years?
Old 09-14-2015, 10:33 PM
JimC

I did get some baseline passes before the turbo. Have to look them up but it was low 14's as I recall.

And Lapeer is still "rustic"
Old 09-14-2015, 10:37 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
12s are still quick. Did you make a baseline pass when the car was stock?

Also has Lapeer changed at all in the last few years?
Funny you say that, just had a mod on another forum who said "you think 12's are quick, obviously you have never been to a track with fast cars". Of course he has never posted up time slips verifying his "2004 Cobra with just a pulley that runs 10's" and I'm pretty sure he is the guy who said I shouldn't use drag radials "because they have too much traction". Guy is a know-it-all type who spews a lot of misinformation.

And as far as fast cars, yes I have been to tracks with fast cars - like my friend's funny car that is the quickest car in our club and with a lot of 10 second cars in the club. But I decided he wasn't worth responding to and just ignore his posts and never respond to him now.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:32 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Hmmm, "to much traction" !!! That's a new one lol.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:33 PM
okbfd
4th Gear Member

Nice runs.......for too much traction

Quick Reply: Finally got the turbo 3.7 to the track