Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

yep..street tires are not ideal

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:41 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Default yep..street tires are not ideal

ran two passes as 13.4xx @ 113 mph with a 2.2-2.45 60 ft time.

First pass launched light at just above 2k and wheel hopped through first, swcond and into third. Car wanted to go sideways on the first two shifts. ran against a scat pack charger andlost but didnt lose any distance at the second half of the pass.

Second pass tried leaving above idle and didnt spin as much but i was more cautious the first few gears then went to the floor in third.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:26 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Followed up with more turd 2.4x short times and a new best if 13.3 (and another 13.4) at 113
Old 10-01-2017, 12:15 AM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

You've obviously been here since forever ago, and I havent. If you dont mind me asking, what are you running, car and tires?
Old 10-01-2017, 01:09 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Sorry I should have specified, its a 2012 GT manual, stock with the 3.31 gears. Tires are michelin all seasons which (all seasons) are probably the worst tires to use at any drag strip or tracking event. I forget the size but they are definitely not wide. I did not mess with the tire pressures, and only 'peeled out' at the burnout box avoiding the water to clear off any pebbles or dirt. Burned the hell out of them trying to get traction but if I have to go tire shopping early then at least I can try summer tires, though on the street these are not that bad and are a little fun still. I shifted at or near redline for the most part except on a few passes where I tried short shifting 1st.

I do have drag radials via a set of really old BFGs or 555r's from the 99 but then that means a greater chance of breaking ****. Same goes with starting the mod bug on this car.

Ended up getting a 13.2x @ 112 as a best run for the day. I tried short shifting first but second still didn't want to stay straight and the car wheel hopped almost every pass. I have like 8 slips, my best 60ft time was a 2.2x but that pass may have been the one where I missed third gear or I still killed the tires. I ran several 2.4x 60 ft times and several 13.4s @ 113 with a few 13.6+ (missed third trapped at 108).

The weather was beautiful for racing though. Temps in the low 60s, sunny day. The track is not very high above sea level, at a little more than 800 feet. Being closer to sea level means denser air for better engine performance.

Track prep was non existent though. A lot of people spinning even with drag radials.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:47 AM
fourdegrees11
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah man with AS tires you have no chance lol. I had 295 nitto motivos on my car for a little bit and I could break them free on the 2-3 up shift (3.73s). I'm running 305 pilot super sports now, and they are definitely better. Havent really tested them hard though cause I just got done breaking in my new clutch. Anyway, you definitely want a high end summer tire at the minimum IMO with these coyotes. I've heard really good things about those firestone firehawk indy 500s, and they're cheap
Old 10-24-2017, 12:21 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

running the quarter mile with street tires is like going to the beach with your own sand....

Old 10-24-2017, 02:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
ran two passes as 13.4xx @ 113 mph with a 2.2-2.45 60 ft time.

First pass launched light at just above 2k and wheel hopped through first, swcond and into third. Car wanted to go sideways on the first two shifts. ran against a scat pack charger andlost but didnt lose any distance at the second half of the pass.

Second pass tried leaving above idle and didnt spin as much but i was more cautious the first few gears then went to the floor in third.

Wouldn't tire hop be more of a suspension issue than a tire issue? If you're getting that much wheel hop on street tires, upgrade that suspension first otherwise you'll end up blowing up you rear end when you put slicks on there.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:32 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by Stkjock
running the quarter mile with street tires is like going to the beach with your own sand....

lol

hey Stkjock. Been to the track in a while?

The tires on the car are skinny all seasons so if I end up modding, I would go with stickier wider tires or an actual drag radial for the track before any suspension. I have stiffer rear LCA's on the 99 and the car rarely wheelhopped (if ever) but the ride sucks, and the car also has nitto drag radials on as well. The 99 also has adjustable shocks/struts, with the struts set at a weak setting so the front end lifts on WOT and combined with 4.10s is very cool but **** this can get pricey.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
lol

hey Stkjock. Been to the track in a while?
nah, no roll bar and my cars too fast for the NHRA regs without.