Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Rode in and drove LS2 GTO's car

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default Rode in and drove LS2 GTO's car

I met with LS2 GTO today; he lives in my area. We had lunch and then I took him for a ride in my 01 S281 Saleen. Afterwards we switched cars and he took me for a ride in his 05 GTO. We then swapped seats and I drove it. I had been curious to how the new 05 would feel with the LS2. I gotta say that his car and an 04 Cobra would be close. Pretty similar power, but the Cobra makes more low to mid torque (due to the roots blower). The GTO does better up on top. I liked the car in general, but it did have a few GM quirks. Whoever designed the pedal configuration on this car was either smoking crack or assumes everyone in the world wears a AAA narrow shoe. There was no room for me to slide my foot off the clutch to the left; the sidewall of the car gets in the way. LS2 GTO just slides his foot under, but it's hard for me to do that being 6'3'. A minor deal; easily fixable. The car sounded better than I thought stock. It had a nice little growl under power. The seats were good, and the interior was very nice. I could see how this car would be tricky to get down the 1/4 efficiently. It really needs corvette rubber, since it has C6 power. LS2 GTO had the rubber and rims upgraded when he bought it, which helps. -But it could sure use some corvette rubber to go with the corvette power. The overall verdict is GM did a good job on the car. I liked it, and would certainly take one over an 05 gt. This car fills a niche that ford does not yet have. -And that's one of the reasons it's so cool.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Civic4doorsleeper
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Rode in and drove LS2 GTO's car

sweet... tho are hot cars... Kind of a sleeper to a point... If someone dont know what to look for it could be easilt mistaken for a Grand Prix coupe lol
Old 12-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Hisss04Cobra
says hiththth

Would you take a stock 05 GTO over an 03/04 Cobra?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I was pretty close to going with a Red 05 GTO but after the 03/04 Cobra test drive, I was sold.

The GTO felt stronger near redline than my Cobra, but down low and mid-range my Cobra def felt more solid and didn't feel like I had to wait for any power.

Also, the GTO interior just simply kicks ***, I love it...
Old 12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

no
Old 12-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

I gotta say that his car and an 04 Cobra would be close. Pretty similar power, but the Cobra makes more low to mid torque (due to the roots blower). The GTO does better up on top.
Thank you. I've been trying to say that but the dorks that haven't driven either car argue with me.

Would you agree that from a roll the Cobra might be looking at the GTO's tail lights? (I already know the answer to this, but I'm curious as to your opinion.)

I liked the car in general, but it did have a few GM quirks. Whoever designed the pedal configuration on this car was either smoking crack or assumes everyone in the world wears a AAA narrow shoe.
I agree 100% I've got a really wide foot and found it to be a pain in the *** at first. But you do get used to it. Unless I drive it with my dress shoes on. Then it sucks.

I could see how this car would be tricky to get down the 1/4 efficiently. It really needs corvette rubber, since it has C6 power. LS2 GTO had the rubber and rims upgraded when he bought it, which helps. -But it could sure use some corvette rubber to go with the corvette power.
Again, thank you. I couldn't possibly know what I was talking about...Since these 16 year olds have been down the track more times than you or I combined.

The overall verdict is GM did a good job on the car. I liked it, and would certainly take one over an 05 gt. This car fills a niche that ford does not yet have. -And that's one of the reasons it's so cool.
The appearance is obviously different. And it's not going to appeal to everyones taste...But all in all, I think it's a great car. The fun factor is off the charts, and you don't see them on every corner.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:07 AM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Civic4doorsleeper

sweet... tho are hot cars... Kind of a sleeper to a point... If someone dont know what to look for it could be easilt mistaken for a Grand Prix coupe lol
With GTO badges huh
Old 12-08-2005, 01:47 AM
LS2_GTO
1st Gear Member

Hey Birdieman! It was nice meeting you today.... Thanks for the positive review on my car. Yeah, you do bring up some good points like the "dead pedal" problem on this car. But as you said, I never use that anyway and the tire width I run is only a 245, some do run 265's with more of an offset rim. Nice thing about the Mustang is you can get some really nice tire widths under those things. Hey, you're car was awesome too! I saw the pics of your Berylium Saleen, that has got to be one of the sexiest cars I have ever seen, too bad of its fate. Those pics got me thinking that we should do a run up in the Sawtooth's this summer and get some pics of the cars...[8D]

Old 12-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Would you take a stock 05 GTO over an 03/04 Cobra?
I'd still take a Cobra.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Hisss04Cobra
says hiththth

Yay!!!

Quick Reply: Rode in and drove LS2 GTO's car