Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

The Official Suspension Guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:09 PM
DillonInCO
1st Gear Member

Hey folks, I just bought a Mustang and have a bunch of parts on the way: subframe connectors, shocks / struts and lowering springs, caster / camber plates, MM bump steer kit (tapered style), RLCAs, and MM panhard bar. Is there a certain order I should install these in to make my life easier? It may be a while before I can get around to welding in the SFCs, so I was thinking I'd go ahead and start working on the rear end pieces, but not if I'll have to take it all back apart to do the SFCs. Read mixed opinions on whether that's necessary or not.

P.S. - AWESOME post Jack, thank you! I didn't really understand what causes bump steer before.

Last edited by DillonInCO; 03-25-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:25 PM
DillonInCO
1st Gear Member

And a side question: Are there ANY alternatives to running a stock RUCA that don't cause more bind? Excluding using a torque arm or custom 3-link setup of course. I keep hearing stories of road racers blowing out the stock rubber bushings, even if they run a PHB.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Jack Hidley

Just do all of the front suspension stuff at once, and all of the rear suspension stuff at once. That will minimize the amount of work.

You can setup the rear suspension for a PM3L (Poor Mans 3-link). You basically remove one of the UCAs and install a spherical bearing at the axle end of the remaining UCA with a poly bushing at the other end. Only do this if your upper UCA mounts on the car are in perfect condition.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Tipsy Bojangles

I read through seven or so pages checking for the answer but are spherical bearing upper control arms and a pan hard bar a solid combination? I've already got the MM panhard, but I'd still like to avoid any rear end instability without dropping the money on a torque arm. The car is daily driven, so the goals are front coilover kit and modest lowering all around, and being able to have a little more fun on a Napa back road without fearing potholes the other 6 days of the week. Thanks in advance Jazzer
Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Tipsy Bojangles

Originally Posted by aode08

But the article is missing something, that is a wheel spacer.

Using a 2 inch spacer on the front and rear of my fox,with intentions to give me a better arcing fulcrum in corners.
I'll bet you saw huge improvements widening your track width 4 inches but not the safest way to go, especially with a car that is driven hard. Even the best spacers introduce a new failure point in your suspension
Old 07-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Tipsy Bojangles

Aw Jazzer's no longer on the forums? bummer, had some really good info