Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Whose running Steeda upper/lower control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Schweino
1st Gear Member

Default Whose running Steeda upper/lower control arms?

How do you like them? I was thinking Lakewood, but if Steeda's are that much better and last longer, I will definitely go with them.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Shweino.... please do not install ANY aftermarket UCA in the hopes for improved cornering. If you are looking for an aftermarket arm for improving you time at the Christmas tree with mild DD duties, look into some uppers that have a spherical end

Do NOT.... I repeat, DO NOT get a solid bushed UCA for a Mustang 4-link. This is the bane of the pre-S197 suspension and can read all about the hideous little beasts in my Official Suspension Guide (sig)

Jazzer
Old 04-25-2011, 10:05 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Getting back to the original question, the answer will depend on how you intend to use the vehicle. Are you just looking to freshen up worn parts and keep stock levels on NVH and ride? Do you intend on some competition with the car? Tell us a little more and you we can get you better answers.

Last edited by lizzyfan; 04-25-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Gus is on the right track, here

ANY solid poly-bushed UCA installed on an a pre-S197 4-link rear end will cause additional bind and the enemy of cornering. This leads to more extreme "snap-steer" issues and is not good thing.

I am, however, fine with a spherical ended UCA for such a ride in a NON aggressive cornering ride. They free up the binding to a large degree, but according to MM can lead to some VERY funky movement on the extreme end of articulation. I have a picture here of a solid poly-bushed UCA removed after a few years of service:

Before anyone says "they broke because they are weak", I will counter with the following... What if the arms DID NOT break? What if all the strain was applied into the connection points on your car? The issue is not that they failed, but rather a part that so prohibits the freedom of articulation, that they WOULD fail in this way.

Jazzer
Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 PM
sonicx
speed'n

(adding to the greatness of JAZZER write-up)
For LCA's:

Team Z is really noisezy and is more geared towards track apps. While MM are SUPER nice just expensive and for the money there are just as nice stuff that won't break the bank. I don't know too much about baseline (can't comment).

OP: I'd suggest looking into CHE performance LCA's. Especially if it's a DD, street, or very mild strip stang. Otherwise for DD & street you can't beat UPR's price & quality.

I think these two brand are superior over that of lakewood & j&m in terms of suspension parts. BUT it all depends OP what your aiming todo.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:28 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

I just installed CHE LCA's the other day, and they're no louder than stock. I haven't done any real hard driving just yet, so i can't say how well they perform at the moment. I'll let everyone know how well they work when i get back from the track.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:32 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I just installed CHE LCA's the other day, and they're no louder than stock. I haven't done any real hard driving just yet, so i can't say how well they perform at the moment. I'll let everyone know how well they work when i get back from the track.
Nice choice
Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
Nice choice
Thanks man! I was debating a while back as to which ones i wanted to go with, and few guys on the forum here recommended them, so i figured i'd give them a shot.

I've heard nothing but positive stuff on them.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:55 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Gus is on the right track, here

ANY solid poly-bushed UCA installed on an a pre-S197 4-link rear end will cause additional bind and the enemy of cornering. This leads to more extreme "snap-steer" issues and is not good thing.

I am, however, fine with a spherical ended UCA for such a ride in a NON aggressive cornering ride. They free up the binding to a large degree, but according to MM can lead to some VERY funky movement on the extreme end of articulation. I have a picture here of a solid poly-bushed UCA removed after a few years of service:

Before anyone says "they broke because they are weak", I will counter with the following... What if the arms DID NOT break? What if all the strain was applied into the connection points on your car? The issue is not that they failed, but rather a part that so prohibits the freedom of articulation, that they WOULD fail in this way.

Jazzer

The only issue with the spherical would be NVH. For a non aggressive street set up you are better off with bushings if NVH is an issue.

That's why we use our 3 piece bushing setup with a ultra hard inner bushing to locate the sleeve and soft outer bushings to allow for articulation.

With any urethane bushed arm there going to be more bind than stock, but we use a softer outer bushing setup than anyone else, and NVH wise there is none. Its a great way to freshen things up and increase traction as well.

Here's a picture of what the described bushing package looks like.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:23 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Fixed!

Quick Reply: Whose running Steeda upper/lower control arms?