MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://mustangforums.com/forum/suspension-152/)
-   -   Anyone using a rear shock tower brace? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/suspension/642391-anyone-using-a-rear-shock-tower-brace.html)

gnx547 05-19-2011 10:44 PM

Anyone using a rear shock tower brace?

Anyone here have a rear shock tower brace? For my 95, I bought the steeda rear shock tower brace and the brace won't sit flush and line up even on the shock tower. One side lines up flush but the other side won't line up flush..Seems like the bar is just a tad bit short..Has anyone had this problem installing a rear shock tower brace?

Jazzer The Cat 05-19-2011 11:01 PM

I don't see this part doing you any real good on an SN95 :(

Possibly on a Fox body and certainly not on the S197 either. If you don't already have FLSFC's, I would recommend those instead. They are a noticeable improvement and will help to reduce sagging of frame over time.

Jazzer :)

Aereon 05-20-2011 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by gnx547 (Post 7551961)
Anyone here have a rear shock tower brace? For my 95, I bought the steeda rear shock tower brace and the brace won't sit flush and line up even on the shock tower. One side lines up flush but the other side won't line up flush..Seems like the bar is just a tad bit short..Has anyone had this problem installing a rear shock tower brace?

For a car that age, could be that the body has twisted a bit. the sn95's frames are pretty flimsy in stock form.

Shock tower braces haven't really been known to do a whole lot. I'd do what jazzer says and sell those to get a set of flsfc's.

gnx547 05-20-2011 06:20 PM

I already have the MM full length subframes.

Norm Peterson 05-25-2011 11:59 AM

I don't know much about the roof structure of a SN95, but assuming that it's good enough in the first place to let you benefit much from any shock mount brace, I'd start thinking about ditching the rear seat and fabbing up something more along the lines of the X-brace found in the new S197/Boss/Laguna Seca models. A thinnish tube tied straight across isn't going to accomplish much, since the loads that you'd like to stiffen against are not in the tube's stiffest direction (they're in what's probably the tube's least rigid direction).

Norm

AdderMk2 06-17-2011 08:10 AM

a rear shock brace would do NO good in an SN-95. NONE what-so-ever.

The shock towers (for lack of better description) are almost completely non load bearing. There is no spring pressure there, and there is no axle attachment there. The area of the vehicle in question is not subjected to torsional stress.

1998GTVERTT 09-09-2014 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 7558201)
I don't know much about the roof structure of a SN95, but assuming that it's good enough in the first place to let you benefit much from any shock mount brace, I'd start thinking about ditching the rear seat and fabbing up something more along the lines of the X-brace found in the new S197/Boss/Laguna Seca models. A thinnish tube tied straight across isn't going to accomplish much, since the loads that you'd like to stiffen against are not in the tube's stiffest direction (they're in what's probably the tube's least rigid direction).

Norm

has anyone done a laguna seca style brace? i really want one in my vert because i hate the vert bar....ugly.......and i think itd be unique, and im doing a 4v 5.4 swap so ill need some regidity :)

84CopperGT 10-18-2014 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by AdderMk2 (Post 7585866)
a rear shock brace would do NO good in an SN-95. NONE what-so-ever.

The shock towers (for lack of better description) are almost completely non load bearing. There is no spring pressure there, and there is no axle attachment there. The area of the vehicle in question is not subjected to torsional stress.

I had one on my 04 vert. Didn't do ****....until I fabbed up an x brace for it using the tower bar to tie it in. then it was amazing.