Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

2012 GT should I replace sway bar & springs or dampers and springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Pakman

Default 2012 GT should I replace sway bar & springs or dampers and springs?

I would like to improve the handling on my 2012 GT tighter turns and less nose dive! But at the same time I don't want to feel every bump on the road.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The sway bar is a tuning device and would not consider replaceing either, unless you have one of the following conditions in your car:

Understeer

Oversteer

If you don't have either, or you are not sure how to find out.... you don't need to replace your sway bars If you are looking to improve your cornering, a set of dampers would be great. If you also want to lower your ride, than your better off to purchase springs and dampers matched to each other and at the same time.

Hopefully Norm will chime in as he as VAST amounts of knowledge over I on issues of dampers/springs, but especially on the S197 platform.

Jazzer
Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Pakman

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
The sway bar is a tuning device and would not consider replaceing either, unless you have one of the following conditions in your car:

Understeer

Oversteer

If you don't have either, or you are not sure how to find out.... you don't need to replace your sway bars If you are looking to improve your cornering, a set of dampers would be great. If you also want to lower your ride, than your better off to purchase springs and dampers matched to each other and at the same time.

Hopefully Norm will chime in as he as VAST amounts of knowledge over I on issues of dampers/springs, but especially on the S197 platform.

Jazzer
Thanks,
Old 12-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Pakman - arguably the best shocks for reasonable money are the Koni yellows. Set full soft to maybe 1/4 turn up from there and the ride with OE springs is pretty decent. I can't speak for what anybody's best setting for uprated springs ought to be, other than to suggest you'll want just a little more damping than 1/4 turn to keep the stiffer springs from causing too much rebound. In most folks' normal street driving, insufficient rebound is characterized by a slightly "floaty" ride or a case of the car moving just a bit too much on its suspension. Bump damping on the Koni yellows does not increase as you dial them up, but for comfort you'll want the least amount of rebound damping that will still keep the chassis motion quiet/not bobbing around.

Jazzer - I only saw this specific thread just now, courtesy of work internet filtering and other distractions of the season. But I did respond in his other one a while back.

Norm