Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Front strut options

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:03 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Default Front strut options

Ok, I just bought a used set of maximum motorsports COP-2 coilover springs.

link:
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=507

I currently have all poly bushings in the front, upper and lower subframe connectors, 99 IRS, braced, full tilt boogie bushings, 03/04 cobra bilstein, rear eibach pro-kit (stock location)
((Rear spring #3590.002
Rear spring rate: Progressive 651-822 in#)

The front COs I bought are 300# and they only fit Koni, Tokico or Strange Struts. So which ones would work best with my set up?

Oh, I use this as a DD in the summer but its going to see at least two track days. Im getting into HPDEs and autocross days more and more.

All opinions welcome, thank you.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you can go Koni Yellows, this would be my recommendation for sure!

On a side note, be sure to consider some options to keep the temps down in the rear dif. They IRS can get quite hot, after racing for an extended period of time. This wont be an issue at AX, but can certainly be one on the open-track.

Jazzer
Old 12-02-2011, 07:07 AM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

thanks!
I'll look into the koni yellows, its hard to find spring rates struts work with for coilovers sometimes. Have you had these in your car before you switched to SLA?

I can only do two hot laps in a row before my brakes heat up too much anyways so the diff gets a break. once I get some better brakes then the diff may nee to be addressed for sure.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Yes... I ran a set of 300# CO's, prior to going SLA. I think you will find that rate inadequate, when you continue to get faster and faster around the track. I was happy with them on the street, but they were not stiff enough for AX.

As for brakes, are yours still 100% OEM, or have you done any upgrades at all?

Jazzer
Old 12-02-2011, 12:32 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Yes... I ran a set of 300# CO's, prior to going SLA. I think you will find that rate inadequate, when you continue to get faster and faster around the track. I was happy with them on the street, but they were not stiff enough for AX.

As for brakes, are yours still 100% OEM, or have you done any upgrades at all?

Jazzer
oh really? what rating would be better suited for ax/track days? what is the spring range the koni yellows work on?

as for brakes i have oem 97 gt calipers in the front, brembo drilled oem sized from rotors, hawk ceramic pads. the rear is a 99-04 cobra brake set up with oem rotors and hawk ceramic pads. oem rubber lines, fresh dot 3 brake fluid (flushed at least once a year).

I would like to go cobra fronts to match the rears at some point... so much to do...
Old 12-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The Yellows will need to be valved for whatever spring rate you choose, but not sure what I would recommend. I would say that 350~375 would probably be pretty good, but I would research what others are running in your situation.

As for brakes.... you need race fluid, to be on the open-track, so next flush, I can recommend Wilwood 570 fluid and what I run. You also need to install some SS lines at ALL four corners. Beyond this, some cooling ducts will prove to be beneficial, but the lines and fluid are your biggest issues to this point for sure.

Jazzer
Old 12-11-2011, 11:12 AM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
The Yellows will need to be valved for whatever spring rate you choose, but not sure what I would recommend. I would say that 350~375 would probably be pretty good, but I would research what others are running in your situation.

As for brakes.... you need race fluid, to be on the open-track, so next flush, I can recommend Wilwood 570 fluid and what I run. You also need to install some SS lines at ALL four corners. Beyond this, some cooling ducts will prove to be beneficial, but the lines and fluid are your biggest issues to this point for sure.

Jazzer
Thanks Jazzer, since you are the only one who its responding to this, haha. but yea i talked to maximum motorsports about their kit and the guy sent me this link:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...g_spring_rates

you were correct for the rates on the koni SA yellow, ill be shopping for the the yellows soon and next spring ill flush the fluid and shop for some ss lines for sure. I really should look into replacing the 94-98 front calipers though since they are the single pot ones verses the 99-04 double pot calipers. Maybe the cobra set up since my rears are bigger then the front currently, haha.

Oh, how about a proportioning valve since the built IRS can handle more braking power then the stock 97 4 link? I remember hearing stock proportioning was somewhere in the area of 70/30. I wont be doing it really anytime soon but just as information on my current braking system.

Thanks again for the advice Jazzer. I appreciate it!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I have not researched the upgrade from the SN single to double pot caliper swap. If it is just the caliper it is pretty cheap and easy mod at the time of SS lines with fresh fluid. I bet you could probably find a pair pretty cheap at Summit or some place like that.

As for a prop valve..... I had one installed on my car, but didn't do me any real good untill I had a whole new brake system installed out back There just isn't enough bite on even the Cobra rears to get any seat of the pants improvement. In my case, the TA so completely changes the rear suspension geometry, I was able to throw a LOT more brake out back and is a tremendous help in stopping!!!!! I do believe it is in the neighborhood of 70/30 and my guess is I am probably around 60/40, but just speculation. I just don't know if the IRS makes such a difference to benefit that much. There is just not the clamping power in OEM rear brakes

Looks like you have more homework to do

Jazzer and the lonely suspension section