Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

88 Fox 5 lug swap and handling questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Redline5.0
1st Gear Member

Default 88 Fox 5 lug swap and handling questions

Hey folks

Im taking my first stab at a Mustang that handles.

Goal - budget car that can autocross, drift and ice race. I realize that there will be a LOT of compromise do to budget constraints and use of less expensive parts. Really - I just want to get out and play, use up some cheap tires and get a start into something new. (my other lx runs 10s, its getting boring)

I picked up an 88 LX last week for $300 that I would like to build into a track only car. Its a factory 5.0 5spd car - but is well used and destined for scrap. I plan to gut it, making it as light as possible, including all glass except the windsheild

So my plan so far consists of a 5 lug swap for more wheel options and supposed better geometry
- The first available car to rob parts from is a 1995 GT
- Planning to swap the front CAs, spindles, brakes and calipers

For the rear - which Explorers are candidates for the 5 stud/31 spline swap? I would like to run a minispool as the car WILL NOT be street driven.

As for springs - I plan to use a generic set of brand X 1.5" drop springs. (I know - but its a budget project)

Other than that - I really want to find a panhard bar - I've seen the MM ones used for reasonable prices.

Lastly - would there be any advantage to sway bars from a newer Mustang? I've HEARD of using New Edge sway bars in the Fox, but I've never checked to see if they're larger.

Please dont hate - Im new to turning corners.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

I don't think spools like autocross very much. I'm running an Eaton posi with no problems during high speed cornering.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Redline5.0
1st Gear Member

Tight corners will undoubtedly suck with the spool - however, they are dirt cheap, and almost nessesary for ice racing. I'd much rather run an e-locker, but its not in the budget of the project
Old 12-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Sounds like a big project and would start with some serious support of the sub-frame

I would look into what Griggs Racing has done with my car and with all pre-S197 GR-40 rides. Gut the interior, which you are gonna do anyway and install some square tubing from the front sub to up against the bulkhead. You will need a PHB or WL for sure and this means a TA to address the funky 4-link out back.

This is gonna be hard to do cheap, unless you are VERY creative and gusty with fabricating your own suspension parts. Take a peek at my suspension guide for some insight on a bit of this stuff and get some ideas.

Jazzer
Old 12-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Redline5.0
1st Gear Member

Thanks Jazzer

I've already used a set of Wolfe connectors - Im quite confident that Mr Plasma cutter can make another set. If not - I have a basic set that could probably be beefed up to work. I also have a comp engineering cage thats been in the shed for awhile.

You might be able to shed some light here - The folks at MM have suggested to be that with the PHB, the 4link is over constricted. Their suggestion to combat this was to leave the factory upper control arms in place. Apparently the spongy rubber bushings allow the diff to move enough to be stable. I understand the theory they explained, but it just doesnt seem right

First up - who the heck makes a useable aftermarket control arm with a rubber bushing and a heim joint? I'd use the ones that are in there, but the bushings have 100k miles on them...
Old 12-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

MM is correct, but ONLY when one does not also install a torque-arm!

If your looking to build a pre-S197 to take a real corner, the 4-link MUST go bye-bye! My suspension guide (sig and main page of Suspension section) has just about all you need to know on why these 4-links are soo detrimental to cornering. This is why, I said you need to be pretty good at fabbing stuff up to save money.

LCA's... I have a list of what I call "Jazzer approved" and why, in my suspension guide

Jazzer
Old 12-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Redline5.0
1st Gear Member

I cant really justify adding a TA, as adding the PHB to the list sort of topped off my budget.

I'd like to build a complete track car, but this is a side project that I dont want digging into the funding for my street car.

Im not sure what else I can do with the stock setup other than what I have planned, stock or otherwise, it should still be a fun car, even if it doesnt handle like a go cart