Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Clunking noise over bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 PM
FreedomStang93

Default Clunking noise over bumps?

Is there anyone out there that can lead me in the right direction? My 93 LX has a clunking noise in the rear when I hit small bumps. I also notice them if my shifts are not the smoothest (Havent driven a manual in 10+ yrs). When I go ove uneven bumps, such as RR tracks that cross the road at an angle, the car really rocks back and forth pretty good. I am thinking that the two issues go hand in hand but not positive. Anyone experience this before or have suggestions? Thanks for any help you might have.

Another issue I am having is when im driving down the road, man do I feel everything and the front of the car is very springy. They are very short and fast bounces. Car has not been lowered but I feel like i am riding in a car that has been dropped all the way to ground. Bad shocks or springs?I would like to lower the car just a bit, not much but can I lower it without it riding the same way?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Sounds like dampers are the quickest solution to much of what you are experiencing, but keep reading. How many miles do you have on your car and have you or previous owner(s) ever done ANY suspension work, replacement or repairs?

Secondly, what are your ULTIMATE goals for this car?

Lowering springs will not require new dampers per se, but they will help your ride/handling consistant with the description of aftermarket lowering springs. Regardless, I think it a good idea to install some sub-frame connectors. They will do a lot for limiting the small creaks and rattles that develop over time and especially the Fox Body Mustangs.

Jazzer
Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 AM
FreedomStang93

Thank you, the car does have sub frame connectors already installed. Ive had a few people tell me control arm bushings as well, not sure if thats it it as I havent got that far. I do not not know if the previous owner did any suspension work. My expectations for the car are about 95% pleasure driving so i am looking for it to be comfortable while driving with a good look as well. Right now it feels like im riding on springs alone, really stiff ones. There is hardly any font end travel when I go over a bump.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 AM
FreedomStang93

Sorry, The car has 107,000 miles on it.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

If you are looking to lower a small amount, my recommendation is to purchase a set of matched spring/dampers to install all at one time. 100,000 miles is pretty good mileage on OEM shocks/struts, but just replace them all at one time. This will "A" get you lower, as you are looking to go and "B" avoid the time/energy/expense to have your existing ones tested/examined for expected life remaining.

Beyond this, you might have some bad bushings, but can check all those out during the install of springs/dampers and replace as necessary. If you DO need any bushings/parts, I would recommend you stick 100% OEM, unless you are looking to improve your cornering/handling beyond what is offered by the new springs/dampers. Keep in mind, that upgrading suspension components will nearly always include some NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) for your trouble. A good set of springs and dampers are a bit of an exception here, but lowering requires a heavier spring rate than OEM, so your car WILL ride a bit more stiff.

Contacting Sam Strano (site sponsor) is a good place to start, as he is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about suspension components.

What say you?

Jazzer
Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 AM
FreedomStang93

I climbed back under the car to take another look at the control arms and bushings. Ive not seen arms like these before and I cant find them anywhere on the internet either. They look as if they could be as old as the car, thats how much rust they have on them and even though the upper control arm appear they have been greased recently every bushing on the upper and lower look like they need replaced. I figure that if I have to replace every bushing I might as well replace and update the arms as well and eliminate that issue all together.