MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://mustangforums.com/forum/suspension-152/)
-   -   Caster & Camber recommendations (https://mustangforums.com/forum/suspension/675688-caster-and-camber-recommendations.html)

03shadow 06-26-2012 12:32 PM

Caster & Camber recommendations

alrighty, I'm finally getting an alignment done on my car. I called up the shop today and they said they could do whatever specs I want as long as I tell them what they are. for those who dont know, (probably everyone except jazzer :p) my car has a complete MM setup (coilovers, kmember, a-arms, etc plus rear suspension). I was thinking of getting -1 to -1.5 degree camber but I am unsure what caster to set it at. Thanks in advance everyone :)

Jazzer The Cat 06-26-2012 08:58 PM

I keep meaning to ask the specific settings of my caster, but they are going to be higher than you need. Depending on how aggressive you are with your cornering desires, you can go more than -1.5*. I was running about -2* for a several years, but installed some drop spindles and don't need as much static camber any longer.

If you are running 9" wheels, you can certainly add some caster, but just don't know how much :( I actually have to contact John about something else and will ask him my caster specs, because I just don't remember.

Jazzer :)

03shadow 06-27-2012 07:46 AM

ok if you find out that would be helpful. Im hoping to get 9" wheels by next year so I guess I would need re-aligned then. I might try calling MM to see what they would recommend

Jazzer The Cat 06-27-2012 04:00 PM

OK... my settings are:

Caster is 6*
Camber is 1.75*
toe is 1/16" in

Again, would expect my caster to be higher than most, as I run a 10" wheel up front.

Jazzer :)

03shadow 06-28-2012 09:16 AM

ok well that gives me an idea. thanks! Is the toe measure on your car typical?

UPRSharad 06-28-2012 02:41 PM

yeah, I'd shoot for zero toe and -2° camber. And you can pile on the caster. Those are just general figures.

Waferboy 07-18-2012 12:17 AM

93 LX Settings??

So let me dive in here. My "Suspension Choices" post got me all fixed in that department. Now with a MM Panhard Bar, MM Torque Arm, Stifflers FIT system and a K-Member add on for support I've been digging into the "final" settings for the alignment.

I went in today and when I left I had (all in degrees):
LF Camber = -1.3 RF Camber = -1.7
LF Caster = +1.4 RF Caster = +2.3
LF Toe = +0.05 RF Toe = +0.03
Total Toe = +0.08
Steer Ahead = +0.01
LR Camber = -0.1 RR Camber = -0.2
LR Toe = +0.31 RR Toe = -0.23
Thrust Angle = 0.27

Now some questions... Even with all my add-ons I don't expect to be racing around any tracks. This 93LX is my daily driver and after 15 years of owning I decided it needed updating. I'm happy to say that it's working great, the creaks, moans and groans are gone...and I do mean gone.

So as it stands I have no Caster Camber Bolts or Plate add-ons and I am wondering about the alignment settings I have now. The RF Camber, LF and RF Toe and Total Toe are all out of spec. Two things that I am most "curious" about are the Camber and Thrust Angle values. The Toe part I understand. It's out of spec but easily fixable. The alignment person told me that which the camber I had, a Toe setting like what I have would benefit tire wear to some extent, which I'm fine with.

I haven't experimented with any settings and haven't really planned on it, but being a daily driver does anyone think I should get CC Plates to get the Camber in Spec? I understand that tire wear may be an issue but does anyone know what I should expect if I leave things there? I just got a great set of Michelin Sports and I'd hate to send them to an early grave.

Also, Thrust Angle... Being at 0.27 should I think about fixing that? I have the Adjustable UPR LCA's so bringing it in closer to 0 is possible, but is it worth the money?

Again, I don't need perfect but for what I've put into this car I'm looking for at least another 15 years out of it and I don't want to break something due to negligence on my part.

Thanks!

03shadow 07-18-2012 08:49 AM

my alignment guy got the thrust angle within .02

Waferboy 07-20-2012 01:59 AM

.02, that's "tight!". I'm going on vacation for a bit so I'll have some time to thnk over the CC plates. Not sure it's worth the $ to save some tire wear. But then I can't deny that it would be another something to look cool under the hood. A spendy conversation piece :-)

Jazzer The Cat 07-20-2012 09:14 AM

CC plates also offer the opportunity to add some caster, as mentioned my Mr. Sharad :D