Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Advice on Team Z upper control arms for corner carvers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 PM
uglygun

After much consideration I am likely going to be going for the MM PHB and upgraded lower control arms. I may simply replace the upper control arms with rubber stock replacements or go spherical. Just not sure as to all the details yet.

I will save a torque arm set up for a final "well, I have nothing left to try let's do this" sort of arrangement.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:49 PM
uglygun

And as for the coil overs.

I could see metal fatigue being a problem given how thin the sheet metal of the unibody is.

I know Kenny Brown makes a shock tower brace of sorts for the rear. Is it a piece that will actually do the job correctly or is it a band-aid at best that will also need to be properly addressed?

I'm not looking for true road racing spring rates on the car. It's going to be a jack of all trades but ace of none, not that it is exactly possible. But being able to have fun with it on a track day, be it road course or drag, then still enjoy it's occasional weekly outting be it in the foothills or simply to work... That's honestly what this car is for.

If I decide to go full retard, I'll buy a junker or a shell, not worry about smog, and have some real fun with it.

And on that note, of "full retard", I saw something today that tested my will power like nothing else. A 2012 GT500 for 49k on the local lot. With brand new full tilt 5.0s going for 41k list price, seeing a GT500 for 49k made me wonder if it was worth selling my truck, my sedan, my 95 Cobra, and a couple guns to come up with the scratch to maybe make a 30k dollar dent in that price tag and take a loan on the rest.

Not going to do it but god, white with red competition stripes, and a little bit of my DNA(that is likely only visible by black light) left behind.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you decide to do this . . .
Originally Posted by uglygun
After much consideration I am likely going to be going for the MM PHB and upgraded lower control arms.
don't do any more than this . . .

replace the upper control arms with rubber stock replacements
IOW, forget about sphericals.

Norm
Old 11-08-2012, 09:12 PM
uglygun

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
If you decide to do this . . .

don't do any more than this . . .

IOW, forget about sphericals.

Norm
I hear you.

There's so many damn things out there to consider that I may just replace the old worn parts to make a modest improvement. Then later go through and get stupid with the suspension.

Thing that sucks right now is it seems the more money I wind up with saved the harder the decisions get.

I could simply go for new gears/axles but then the acceleration I will be able to pull will cause all kinds of stresses on the suspension. So I turn my attention towards suspension and there's other issues to consider.

So in the end I may just go for better than stock but not full retard, leave a bit of money left over to address other issues.