Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Too bag or not to bag that is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

Default Too bag or not to bag that is the ?

Since I got my car back from paint I have been thinking of getting a air ride system for my Mustang but really don't have a idea of the cost for a full system/shop charge to install or how reliable they are how much maintenance go into keeping it last for years. Here's how my stang sits now.
Attached Thumbnails Too bag or not to bag that is the ?-image.jpg  
Old 07-29-2013, 10:27 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

It almost sounds as if you've made your decision then, the air ride will require some maintenance, but I believe air bag technology has certainly advanced considerably since the 90's, maybe search around and see other people's swaps in other types of vehicles and see what their experiences are like.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 PM
C. Love
1st Gear Member

A decent setup is about 3500 -4K. If you're not doing the work yourself I bet you can heap on another 2K. I guess it depends on what you like to do with your car. I have thought about it as I love that super low look. My car is pretty low on coil-overs and here and there the exhaust will hit the axle on large bumps, air ride would fix that. However I love to drift, and seeing as few drift and have airbags I cannot justify spending 3500 bucks to find out it sucks.

In short--if you don't track your car DO IT!!!!!!

If you track your car really start doing research
Old 08-04-2013, 08:56 PM
C. Love
1st Gear Member

oh maintenance wise they are pretty damn good these days. Look at all the transport trucks and heavy machinery these days many of them have bags
Old 08-04-2013, 09:13 PM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

Thanks C.love that's what I needed to know cost and dependability I don't track so it's pretty much just for show and tell so about 5-7k so I guess i'll just have to sit on the idea for awhile,thanks again. My car bottoms out too from lowering springs.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 PM
C. Love
1st Gear Member

One thing I forgot to mention. With the higher end kits you end up buying or needing coilovers. Basically, you remove the springs on the front replace it with a bag and on the rear you use the damper and just a regular bag. Which adds another grand. the 3.5-4K is just the air--sorry man. I have coilovers so when i looked for myself I didn't that factor in.

The air kits are suppose to be just mediocre especially the manual kits (American muscle had manual kits for like 2K complete). i hear manual is painfully slow due to small compressors and small lines. So for the 3.5-4K that is the best air ride stuff you can get plus good compressors. United Air spring bags and accuair everything else.

Personally if i end up building a new track car I will bag my street car in due time. My 2011 is lowered about 3.5 inches and another 2 inches at the press of a button would be killer.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 AM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

calistang05,

We somewhat recently started carrying the Airlift suspension kit too. From what I've seen, the reliability and functionality really impressed me. We equipped one of our own Mustangs recently and I can't believe how well it handles with the air ride!

It's a nice option too if you want to raise the car to go over speed bumps!

Shane
Old 11-03-2013, 09:44 AM
psyycho

What coils are you using for your car? I'm on springs now and want to go lower.

Originally Posted by C. Love
A decent setup is about 3500 -4K. If you're not doing the work yourself I bet you can heap on another 2K. I guess it depends on what you like to do with your car. I have thought about it as I love that super low look. My car is pretty low on coil-overs and here and there the exhaust will hit the axle on large bumps, air ride would fix that. However I love to drift, and seeing as few drift and have airbags I cannot justify spending 3500 bucks to find out it sucks.

In short--if you don't track your car DO IT!!!!!!

If you track your car really start doing research