Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Springs and struts, or Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Default Springs and struts, or Coilovers?

I have a 2013 v6 performance package, and i want to upgrade. I am having difficulty debating between a spring/ strut combo, or coilovers. My budget is 1200. For springs and struts, im considering koni yellows and h&r springs (1.7-2.3inch drop) for around 800, or ST coilovers, (1.2-2.8 inch drop) about 1100. ST suspension is made by KW; ST coilovers have a very similar spring and dampining rate as the KW's; theyre just zinc coated instead of stainless steel. The ST suspension has a 5 year warranty. Compared to a random spring/strut combo, the ST's have matched damper and spring rate. I'm leaning more towards the ST's. I'm looking for a comfortable daily-driven ride as well as a car that can perform in the corners. I'm leaning more towards the ST coilovers over the spring/strut combo. What are your thoughts?
Thanks all.

http://www.stsuspensions.com/coilover

http://www.stsuspensions.com/product...er-kit-30.html
Old 12-11-2013, 08:33 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

There's no right or wrong answer here, but I'll offer my opinion.

I'm running Koni Yellows and UPR/Eibach springs. They work great and the car looks good. The reason I chose that route is because if/when I go for coilovers, I'm going all in. Good coilovers easily cost $3500+ and I wasn't ready for that kind of commitment yet. I will eventually, but for now, the Konis & UPR/Eibachs are working well.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:57 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

I have to agree with Sharad...

Your driving style and overall plan will dictate which route to go as far as your question is concerned. Coilovers will require not only a serious financial commitment, but a lot work to dial them in correctly. In this game, you are going to get what you pay for and $1200 isn't going to yield much in the C/O game unless you are buying used.

I have a some what similar setup to Sharad but I am running on Bilsteins.
I have yet to upgrade the Control Arms or Panhard bar, but I am very pleased with the upgrades so far.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:47 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

I'm running Koni STrts and H&R race springs, rides okay, I do however wish I had ponied up the extra cash to the Yellows.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:59 AM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Good coilovers for performance cost a lot of money, but good comfortable coilovers don't necessarily need to cost a billion dollars. Luckily ST's are made by KW, who certainly know a thing or two about coilover systems. I've got KW V3's on my 5.0, absolutely love them, but if you're not looking to spend that kind of money, ST's are a good option to get the same taste of performance and quality, for a lesser cost.

KW V2 and V3 coilovers are the best overall coilover kits on the market today (at least in my opinion). Sure they're a bit more expensive, but when I put the V2's on my car previous car, and V3's on my current car, I can easily say they were worth very penny. They have the best material construction quality of any coilover kit that I've seen. KW not only designs and manufacturers the coilovers, but they test them as well, to TUV certification levels. They also do this for each individual name plate which means they do it for Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Chevrolet and more. They also design and valve all the suspension dampers to each individual MODEL within that brand, so you're getting something truly unique.

KW's are designed with street driving in mind, that's what they're designed for unless you talk about the clubsport models. All of KW's essential parts are built in-house, they are not outsourced like a lot of other companies. Though to some, this isn't a big issue, but when you consider that gives them a very big advantage on the quality control of a system, other companies just cannot compete with that.

TUV Certification, as I've touched on before, is the highest quality of certification that a company can receive in Europe. Getting TUV certification requires such a large amount of time to seek this endorsement, it's unbelievable. Each individual part such as the coils, the shocks, and the strut cartridges are individually tested, and then re-tested to insure that it meets or exceeds TUV's very strict requirements.

Here's the kicker! Not only did the KW coilovers pass the TUV's rigorous requirements, but it did so on EVERY ride height setting, including the lowest possible setting available. I highly doubt most other coilover companies have the time or the energy, let alone the money to even do such a thing.

The strut housing/shock bodies are T-304 stainless and they are completely impervious to rust, corrosion, acid rain, salt on the roads and of course any other things you might see such as that. All their brackets are 10.9 rated T-6 Aluminum alloy that are all anodized to prevent corrosion.

The second kicker here, is that KW is also an OE supplier to Eibach ironically, because some of the springs they manufacture actually go onto other coilover kits! Lastly, KW is the OE supplier to all the Mercedes-Benz AMG cars, which is an astonishing fact on itself, a real achievement to any company.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
Good coilovers for performance cost a lot of money, but good comfortable coilovers don't necessarily need to cost a billion dollars. Luckily ST's are made by KW, who certainly know a thing or two about coilover systems. I've got KW V3's on my 5.0, absolutely love them, but if you're not looking to spend that kind of money, ST's are a good option to get the same taste of performance and quality, for a lesser cost.

KW V2 and V3 coilovers are the best overall coilover kits on the market today (at least in my opinion). Sure they're a bit more expensive, but when I put the V2's on my car previous car, and V3's on my current car, I can easily say they were worth very penny. They have the best material construction quality of any coilover kit that I've seen. KW not only designs and manufacturers the coilovers, but they test them as well, to TUV certification levels. They also do this for each individual name plate which means they do it for Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Chevrolet and more. They also design and valve all the suspension dampers to each individual MODEL within that brand, so you're getting something truly unique.

KW's are designed with street driving in mind, that's what they're designed for unless you talk about the clubsport models. All of KW's essential parts are built in-house, they are not outsourced like a lot of other companies. Though to some, this isn't a big issue, but when you consider that gives them a very big advantage on the quality control of a system, other companies just cannot compete with that.

TUV Certification, as I've touched on before, is the highest quality of certification that a company can receive in Europe. Getting TUV certification requires such a large amount of time to seek this endorsement, it's unbelievable. Each individual part such as the coils, the shocks, and the strut cartridges are individually tested, and then re-tested to insure that it meets or exceeds TUV's very strict requirements.

Here's the kicker! Not only did the KW coilovers pass the TUV's rigorous requirements, but it did so on EVERY ride height setting, including the lowest possible setting available. I highly doubt most other coilover companies have the time or the energy, let alone the money to even do such a thing.

The strut housing/shock bodies are T-304 stainless and they are completely impervious to rust, corrosion, acid rain, salt on the roads and of course any other things you might see such as that. All their brackets are 10.9 rated T-6 Aluminum alloy that are all anodized to prevent corrosion.

The second kicker here, is that KW is also an OE supplier to Eibach ironically, because some of the springs they manufacture actually go onto other coilover kits! Lastly, KW is the OE supplier to all the Mercedes-Benz AMG cars, which is an astonishing fact on itself, a real achievement to any company.
Thanks! Thats some of the most helpful input ive had on these forums.
So, how similar are the st's compared with the kw's, aside from the fact that they're not stainless steel?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:07 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
Thanks! Thats some of the most helpful input ive had on these forums.
So, how similar are the st's compared with the kw's, aside from the fact that they're not stainless steel?
Thanks! I really appreciate that! Some guys say I'm biased towards KW, but in all honesty I've had the pleasure of having KW coilovers on my last car, that I loved so much, that I got V3's on my current Mustang, and I love every moment of driving on it.

Anyway, when you compare the ST's to the comparable KW V1, they're both ride height adjustable ONLY, so the dampening is pre-set (KW V3's are rebound and compression adjustable as well as ride height adjustable). KW's use inox stainless steel, and ST's use a zinc coated galvanized steel instead.

Other than that, the only difference is that ST's have a 5 year warranty, and KW's have a lifetime warranty. Springs are the same, valving is the same, shocks are the same except for the material that they use of course.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:18 AM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
Thanks! I really appreciate that! Some guys say I'm biased towards KW, but in all honesty I've had the pleasure of having KW coilovers on my last car, that I loved so much, that I got V3's on my current Mustang, and I love every moment of driving on it.

Anyway, when you compare the ST's to the comparable KW V1, they're both ride height adjustable ONLY, so the dampening is pre-set (KW V3's are rebound and compression adjustable as well as ride height adjustable). KW's use inox stainless steel, and ST's use a zinc coated galvanized steel instead.

Other than that, the only difference is that ST's have a 5 year warranty, and KW's have a lifetime warranty. Springs are the same, valving is the same, shocks are the same except for the material that they use of course.
So what's the huge importance in the ability to adjust compression and rebound compared to just adjusting ride height? The koni yellows are cheaper and have the ability to adjust compression and rebound, would i be better off going with them or still stick with the st's?

Last edited by JayBeStangs94; 12-23-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:04 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JayBeStangs94
So what's the huge importance in the ability to adjust compression and rebound compared to just adjusting ride height? The koni yellows are cheaper and have the ability to adjust compression and rebound, would i be better off going with them or still stick with the st's?
Koni yellows adjust rebound, not compression. But I'm running them on my car, and they're awesome for the money.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:11 PM
2012StangMan
1st Gear Member

Im running the Yellows and H&R springs on mine. Along with other suspension upgrades. The yellows ride just perfect. They allow for dampening adjustment. Im right at half way on them and they ride outstanding, and its my DD.

Quick Reply: Springs and struts, or Coilovers?