Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

new owner needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Dataken

Default new owner needs advice

I wanted to see if all you experts and quick advice or an answer for me. I just bought a 2002 Ford Mustang GT and its really nice and the owner before had done a lot of work to it. It looks like it has aftermarket front and rear suspension parts. The front end feels really tight but the rear feels funny to me but maybe that’s how it should ride.

it feels rough on the road like when you hit bumps you really feel it. Like with some cars or trucks with good shocks the bumps feel soft. You really feel the road and it’s a bit shaky.

It looks like it has a Eibach system in the rear. red sway bar and eiback shocks and red springs.

The front has a nice strut tower and caster chamber plates and the sway bar says progress.

is the road supposed to feel rough and bumpy? Any thought, advice on the parts that are on my car???

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Dataken

Oh on another note I have a strange sound coming from the right rear it seems like. Like a rattling noise or something.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Tipsy Bojangles

Aftermarket shocks/struts/springs tend to be a little stiff, even the nice ones. You may want to get smaller swaybars and softer springs in the future and it should help your bump stiffness. If you really want it to ride better you'll need new struts too. But good ride will most likely mean raising your ride height, I don't know how important looks are to you with the car
Old 07-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Tipsy Bojangles

On the noise I would look through your trunk first (my star bar made tons of noise, I had no carpet when I got the car). but if it is a suspension noise it could be a worn bushing or something lame like that. someone with experience lowering these cars might be able to narrow down your search
Old 07-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Dataken

I do care about the looks so I don't want to raise it. I stiff ride is fine if that's that way its suppose to be. It feels good in the turns and feels tight. I was getting off the freeway and hit a bump and it felt hard. I need to have someone look at it that know whats up but all and all very happy with it.

I will check the truck. It sounds like it in the truck or a loose shock or something.

Thanks for you advice.