Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Stock height springs, with better spring rate?

Old 06-28-2016, 05:23 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Exclamation Stock height springs, with better spring rate?

Hi guys,
I have the Eibach Pro kit springs as seen in my sig, a 2008 Bullitt. I am wondering about some stock height springs for either the Bullitt or a GT that would go well with the rest of my setup.

The reason this is an issue is the speed bumps in combination with my turbo tubing and the lower stance just doesnt work well.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:17 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/m...192/10075102-P

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/m...077/10033901-P

Anyone?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:06 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

If your turbo tubing is the lowest part of the car then that is a bad set up or poor installation. I'm guessing you will have to reinstall your stock springs because I don't think anyone will make stiffer stock ride height springs. Try going over speed bumps at an angle if you can. My lowered car doesn't even come close to hitting them.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Well its the Hellion kit, one of the better kits out their. I also have the cobra dual fuel pumps and 47lb injectors.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/hellion-turbo-0510gt.html

Old 06-30-2016, 05:37 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I know they are known for great kits but yours sucks. That is a ridiculous loss of ground clearance IMO. Might be good for drag racing but for the street that setup wouldn't even work with stock suspension. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:04 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I agree its a bit ridiculous, and since the position of the turbo is fixed, not much else to be done. Maybe take it to a shop when I have some money and have some of the tube flattened or custom made?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:11 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I'm really surprised they didn't use flat oval tubing to create ground clearance. The lowest part of the car shouldn't be something as fragile as tubing. I saw a twin turbo kit installed on a Challenger/Charger on TV (I believe from Hellion) and the chargers mount low with the filters near the ground. Absolutely stupid, try driving that in the rain. I'll stick with Roush superchargers on my Mustang.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:03 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by proeagles
I'm really surprised they didn't use flat oval tubing to create ground clearance.
100x YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly what I envisioned as well.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You may want to get a bit creative with some sort of shimming to regain some ride height. There are ride height adjusters for the rear, which I think require the use of small-diameter coilover springs.

BMR's handling springs for the GT500 are rated at 260 lb/in (front) and 220 (rear), and BMR claims 1.5" drop for a GT500. The front of a stock 2008 GT (somewhat lighter than any GT500) only drops about half an inch. The rear ended up dropping just over an inch, which was about half an inch too low for me for a number of reasons (including appearance preference). So I made a couple myself to get my half inch back. All that's left is for me to make a better means of locating the bottom ends of the springs and tackwelding the shims to the OE spring seats.

A picture from very early in the development.

Norm
Old 07-05-2016, 10:54 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

Have you considered a coilover setup? You could specify the ride height/ handling characteristics you want. It's more expensive than just springs but most people lower these cars so short of shimming like suggested or air bags or redesigning your piping not sure there's too many options with just the springs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock height springs, with better spring rate?