Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Lowered - horrible ride in LA area.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:48 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

Default Lowered - horrible ride in LA area.

My mod's are in my signature - the only thing I haven't updated is I put 20" wheels/tires on in January (I should have stayed with 19's). I'm having an issue with being lowered, bigger wheels/tires vs. the local roads.

I recently moved from the San Diego area to the Inland Empire (east of LA). Roads in SD weren't great, but the highways around the Inland Empire area of LA area are atrocious! I'm being bounced around like a team of kindergarteners in a ball pit. I'm trying to figure out the best route for getting some of the comfort back. I don't mind rough, but I don't want to turn my brain into scrambled eggs.

Would coilovers help at all? Or a mix of coilovers, springs, and 18" or 19" setup?
Old 05-30-2017, 09:33 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Your aftermarket spring/shock created the problem and the 20" wheels put the icing on the cake. Changing to coilovers won't help because the spring rates will likely be close to the same. The best solution to maintain the cool look of the lowered car is to switch back to 19" or even 18" wheels and tires. With appropriate plus sizing the diameter will remain the same keeping your calibrations in order but the taller sidewalls will absorb more energy giving you a better ride.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Getting out of the IE will also help. San Bernardino County does not give a s**t about the roads out here, nor does the state of CA. I live in the high desert about 25 minutes north of San Bernardino - our roads get washed out from storms and it can often take days or weeks before anybody from the county shows up to deal with it. And even then repair and maintenance efforts are pretty half-assed at best. Riverside and Los Angeles Counties for the most part are better, but if you really like a smooth road then I suggest Irvine or anywhere in south OC.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 05-30-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:02 PM
dkpGTCS
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, the 20" set up was a huge mistake on my part. The lowering may have been also - one of those "be careful what you wish for" moments. I thought I-70 between KC and St. Louis was bad at one time, but compared to the IE, I-70 is smooth as glass.

I'll be considering my options over the next month or so. Since the 20" set up is newer I probably could get somewhere around 60-66% back by selling. Probably try that first and go from there...