MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://mustangforums.com/forum/suspension-152/)
-   -   Need advice on suspension for my new Mustang. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/suspension/733562-need-advice-on-suspension-for-my-new-mustang.html)

Naughty 03-04-2018 07:35 PM

Need advice on suspension for my new Mustang.

Hello,

About 3 weeks ago I bought a 1997 Mustang GT convertible, I had it inspected and the suspension needs to be redone among a few other things.
I wanted to ask some people more familiar with mustangs what type of suspension I should go for.
I wanted to lower the car 1.5" all around to get rid of the high stance the car has.
I plan on buying lowering springs, new shocks and struts, and new bushings to refresh the suspension system. However I had a few questions for people who were more experienced with mustangs.

What set of shocks and struts would go well with H&R 1.5" lowering springs, something that is good for daily driving? as I will not be tracking the car, and I do not drive fast too often. A lower cost while still being reliable would be preferred.

I would like to compensate for the negative camber that would occur, I read some mixed reviews that camber bolts would be fine for compensating for a 1.5 inch drop, which would be nice as they are a cheaper simpler fix, and on the other hand some people say I will need to use camber plates. Which is fine, but if the bolts will solve the problem I would rather just get them when I buy the rest of the parts.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone is willing to give. I could answer any questions if i didn't cover everything i might have needed to.

Buck Sergeant 03-05-2018 08:00 AM

Need advice on suspension for my new Mustang.

Naughty, with all the suspension work/modifications you have outlined here, I would seriously consider buying the "complete" rear suspension package and be done with it. I have people coming to the shop with suspension problems, and nine times out of ten their problem originated from a "piecemeal/shotgun approach." American Muscle sells many different manufacturer brands of suspension kits. Also, remember you have a convertible. Make sure, no matter how you decide to go with this, to be sure the items/package are for your yeared convertible.

proeagles 03-05-2018 08:44 AM

Completely agree with Buck Sergeant. Get the complete kit that is designed to work together from one manufacturer.

Naughty 03-05-2018 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant (Post 8617191)
Naughty, with all the suspension work/modifications you have outlined here, I would seriously consider buying the "complete" rear suspension package and be done with it. I have people coming to the shop with suspension problems, and nine times out of ten their problem originated from a "piecemeal/shotgun approach." American Muscle sells many different manufacturer brands of suspension kits. Also, remember you have a convertible. Make sure, no matter how you decide to go with this, to be sure the items/package are for your yeared convertible.

That sounds like the smartest approach to it, plus I would rather not screw something up along the way. I will look around on American Muscle for a complete set that would suit what I want for a convertible. Thank you.