Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:07 PM
thechump

Default Grinding noise

This is a weird one. 2010 V6 convertible 5 speed. Was getting occasional grinding what sounded like from front passenger wheel under heavy braking. Had brakes done, seemed to stop. Started up again after a month or so but the mechanics never once heard it. Took it back after the brake job, they thought they heard something, redid brakes under warranty. 5 weeks later it's doing it again a little more frequently. I'm sure it's not a wheel bearing. Could this be a strut issue? Any suggestions???? Thanks for your time folks.

Rick
Old 05-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Grinding noise

thechump, you are right, very weird indeed. Sometimes I can't get past my "old-school" way of thinking. I trust your judgement, but the first thing that comes to mind is wheel bearing. Did the mechanic replace/or pack your wheel bearings. Also, slight chance that the brake pad sensor is somehow making contact under hard braking?
Old 05-06-2018, 10:41 AM
thechump

I believe they did pack the bearing the 1st time around, the noise is a little more frequent now so I think I should be able to have them hear it.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:43 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Does it sound like this: Video creaky brake

Thread on it: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...cuum-pump.html

The sound is worse when in motion, coming to a stop...

It's a common issue, I have found it all over the mustang forums.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:46 PM
thechump

I actually had that sound before I had the brakes done, this is more of a wheel bearingish sound. I'm sure I'll get it resolved when I get back to the mechanic now it's happening more frequently.....now just a matter of having the time to get in there.

Thanks for the video
Old 05-06-2018, 03:28 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Almost every wheel bearing I had that went bad, growled, a sure sign they're bad.

I had one that growled, with no play in it, when I took it off, spun it by hand,
you could gear it growl. This was the driver side. The most common sign
of bad bearings is the growling noise, and cupped tire wear on that hub.

I had heard a scraping, and as turned out, the passenger side wheel bearing was
bad, but it had side-to-side play, no noise. The scraping was the rotor hitting the
caliper bracket, because it had so much play in it. I replaced them both, and the
driver side is starting to growl again.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:53 PM
thechump

Default Thanks....

Thanks for the replies. So it appears the issue was 2 different sets of faulty Motorcraft pads. I assumed when dealing with a dealership they replaced parts with the same things the car came with. Apparently not. The 3rd set were the same as what the car came from factory with.....no issue since.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:14 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Grinding noise

the chump, thanks for getting back to the forum and letting everyone know what the issue was. Everyone has experience with troubleshooting problems, but there sometimes is the old "exception to the rule." Yes, you are right about the dealerships. Always check the work order very closely. I had a customer come in and told me they specifically asked for Ford Motorcraft Synthetic 5W20. The viscosity was right, but they used NAPA oil. Why, I just can't figure it out. Not saying NAPA oil, probably Valvoline, is bad, but why would a Ford dealership use a outside oil??? If they were out, they should have advised him to see if he would like to return when said oil was available. Anyway glad your problem is resolved.