SVO Forum

Let's cut the crap !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 05:24 AM
boss9

Default Let's cut the crap !!!

I've read post after post on how the 2.3 NA and the 2.3 Turbo have the same internals other than pistons. Then I read that the entire internals is different. WHAT IS IT ??? Does the 2.3T have different internals than the 2.3 NA ? Or is it just the pistons ??? I've got a 2.3 that i'm considering scrapping, but if I can turbo this baby with just changing the pistons I'm keeping it !! So what gives ????????
Thanks, Darrel
Old 01-02-2007, 05:00 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Let's cut the crap !!!

The difference is the pistons and the turbo block is taped for the oil feed, this is what I have been told by many people and I have also heard that the blocks are totaly different. If you want a deffenet answer post something like this in the 2.3 section or go and take a look in a scrape yard, more than likely you will find a 2.3 turbo block and then you can see for yourself.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 PM
83beast
2nd Gear Member

from what my uncle said, and he knows his cars quite well, the SVO turbo motors were put together with Roush using different pistons and crank and rods. not sure about the Turbo GT motors. i have heard that the block was different, but that wouldnt make much sense, cause that would be a pain in the butt to make all that extra stuff. i know for a fact that the heads are different from the SVO to the NA. not sure about the Turbo GT's, but the SVO had a specific turbo head. as far as ive seen, there are a bunch of places online that tell how to turbo the older rangers right out of the box. it depends on what you want for power. as always, more power means you need stronger everything, but id say that the 2.3 can hold around 250 HP without really needing much strengthening. i would just rebuild the motor first just to make sure it doesnt have any problems later in life.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:49 AM
duffro

I have the pan off an '86 SVO motor right now and I can tell you I'd be really surprised if N/A motors had rods as nice as these.
They are H beam rods like a Carillo. The pistons are small skirt slipper type and the crank looks pretty stout too. I think if they were putting these internals in all the Rangers out there it would explain why Ford is bankrupt now.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:10 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Almost all the internals are the same, the only difference is the head and piston. (And the fact that the block is taped)
Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 AM
safado
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: duffro

I have the pan off an '86 SVO motor right now and I can tell you I'd be really surprised if N/A motors had rods as nice as these.
They are H beam rods like a Carillo. The pistons are small skirt slipper type and the crank looks pretty stout too. I think if they were putting these internals in all the Rangers out there it would explain why Ford is bankrupt now.
The 2.3 Turbo rods are GARBAGE for any serious power...
Old 03-07-2007, 07:46 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: safado

ORIGINAL: duffro

The 2.3 Turbo rods are GARBAGE for any serious power...
Then why do we have 450 HP+ turbo coupe engine with stock internals?!?!?