SVO Forum

Question about the SVO 2.3 turbo engine.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:57 AM
Specimenatale
Banned

Default Question about the SVO 2.3 turbo engine.

I've managed to get hold of a 1984 SVO with only 60,000 miles on it. The car was only run for 60,000 miles and was left sitting outside in the same spot for about 12 years. The car is completely rusted (floorboards, hood, rear hatch.) The Interior is shot. The engine is fine and runs! It runs rich via a 255lph fuel pump in a coffee can full of gas since the stock gas tank is rusted out (can't use the in-line pump). This will not be a problem. I plan to re-ring it and change the bearings then swap it into a 1992 LX. I understand it is a rare car, but this one is not worth the cosmetic repair. My goal is to specifically respecify the 1984 engine to run as the 1986 did. I want to do this so I may optimize the amount of power gained from the swap. I need to replace the full turbo-back exhaust due to rust. I also plan to add a re-usable air filter, rotate the intake, and switch to a front mount intercooler from:
http://www.stinger-performance.com

So my question is this:
Does anyone know the difference between a 1984 and a 1986 SVO engine?

I've already purchased a set of rebuilt browntop 36# injectors. I'm still searching for the computer and I am in need of a new harness as well. I need to know specifics about the power train that varied from 1984 to1986. Do you know if the 1986 had a different head? If so, do you know what changed within the configuration of the head? Was there a different camshaft or valve size maybe? I would appreciate any knowledge I can gain for this conversion.

Thankyou,
-Joseph
Old 03-06-2007, 03:12 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about the SVO 2.3 turbo engine.

For the 1985.5 and 1986 cars the major changes were the switch from an in line intake to a square one, more aggressive cam that is comparable to the ranger roller version, 35# injectors, and 1 or 2 more psi of boost. I believe the 86's used the EEC-IV version computer. The LA3 computer from the (I think) 87 and up Turbocoupe is almost a direct swap, only needing a couple of pins swapped.

I would check out http://www.svoca.com/for more info you will ever need, but I would try searching first as they can get testy about answering questions that they have already covered before. Also don't say anything about switching the motor to a different car, as they will want to crucify you.

http://www.turboford.net/is also a great site, although somewhat more antique and performance oriented.

Just curious, are there any SVO specific parts like sail panels, spats, lights, wheels still in OK shape?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:26 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TRBOPWR

For the 1985.5 and 1986 cars the major changes were the switch from an in line intake to a square one, more aggressive cam that is comparable to the ranger roller version, 35# injectors, and 1 or 2 more psi of boost. I believe the 86's used the EEC-IV version computer. The LA3 computer from the (I think) 87 and up Turbocoupe is almost a direct swap, only needing a couple of pins swapped.

I would check out http://www.svoca.com/for more info you will ever need, but I would try searching first as they can get testy about answering questions that they have already covered before. Also don't say anything about switching the motor to a different car, as they will want to crucify you.

http://www.turboford.net/is also a great site, although somewhat more antique and performance oriented.

Just curious, are there any SVO specific parts like sail panels, spats, lights, wheels still in OK shape?
Those lights that are reseesed, the hood, and the fact that there where only 9000 made
Old 03-07-2007, 04:07 AM
Specimenatale
Banned

Thank you very much for the reply TRBOPWR. I was not aware of a change in cam. I was pretty sure with the injector upgrade the cam was done as well. I am a driving enthusiast. I'd like to be able to enjoy driving my car. It does not accelerate with my foot to the floor in 5th gear on a highway. I found a running (not driving) 1984 SVO with only 60k on the clock and I'd like to swap the engine directly into my 1992 coupe. Who would not want to add the bigger brakes, better suspension, and drivetrain to a coupe?

But since they're going to crucify me... I love the sound the engine makes when it purs. Mmmmmm[sm=yeahsmile.gif] That sweet turbo note. Sounds like music. Only 60,000 miles on a running engine and I'm gonna tear it down just so I can SWAP everything.
[sm=violent053.gif][sm=gears.gif] [sm=shootshoot.gif]
Old 03-08-2007, 02:54 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Those lights that are reseesed, the hood, and the fact that there where only 9000 made
I realize that,I own 2 85's. And the total was about 9,844 I believe.

I am a driving enthusiast. I'd like to be able to enjoy driving my car. It does not accelerate with my foot to the floor in 5th gear on a highway. I found a running (not driving) 1984 SVO with only 60k on the clock and I'd like to swap the engine directly into my 1992 coupe. Who would not want to add the bigger brakes, better suspension, and drivetrain to a coupe?

But since they're going to crucify me... I love the sound the engine makes when it purs.
I don't blame you in the slightest, it's just that some of the guys on that board are really **** about never part out an SVO, if there is something left it is salvagable. That kind of mindset. I don't agree with them, and I wish you luck with your upcoming project.