SVO Forum

Help with looking at buying an SVO

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Default Help with looking at buying an SVO

Well theres an 1985 SVO for sale not to far from me and he wants $3,500 for it just wondering what you guys think about it and what you would offer.

Heres the long description, hehe!

Vehicle Description

This is a rare 1985 Mustang SVO. They were only made for three years and are becoming quite collectable. This was Ford's Special Vehicle Operations team and they really did this car right. The suspension and handling is a huge improvement over the GT. The car also featured 16" tires and 4 wheel disc brakes.The engine is a high tech turbo 4-cylinder. The carfeatures great gas mileageand is really easy to live with around town. Then hit the gas and watch the turbogauge rise then the fun begins! The car really pullsonce the turbo kicks in. For those that aren't familiar with turbos, the faster you go, the faster it wants to go!
THE GOOD:

Low mileage! Only just under 94k original miles! Plenty of life left in this rare high tech beauty! As you can see the car shines like new. The paint job is a very nice gloss burgundy. This car is rock solid in the engine and transmission department and it is a daily driver.It drives and shiftsextremely strong and smooth. I've had the car for over two years and it has never let me down. Its the kind of car that as you slow down to aminimum in 2nd gear it doesn't buck or sputter, its justnice and smooth. Clutch feel is excellent. Everything is tight, nothing about the engine or tranny feels loose. Hit the gas and as the turbo kicks in it whistles andthe car turnsfrom a passive around town car to a performance car. The seats and interior for the most part are very clean and intact, no tears or rips. The hand pumps for the lumbar support still work perfect! The dash had cracks but I covered it with one of those new form fitting plastic dash covers that is black and looks and fits perfect. A few of the interior plastic panels in the back hatch andnearthe passenger foot panel are slightly faded from the sun.The exterior is straight and true. There are some noticeable dings in the passenger door, the rest of the body is really free from dings and in great shape. The previous owner replaced both doors and the hood and had the car painted burgundy, it was originally white. Here is a list of new parts:
NEW EXHAUST PIPE & MUFFLER(STOCK PIPE & FLOWMASTER MUFFLER)
NEW Conical Air Filter
NEW Fuel Pump
NEW Battery
NEW Solenoid
NEW Dash Cover
NEW Radiator

I also have new hatch supports (the others do not hold the hatch up) however I have not had the time to install them yet, they are included.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

This car is not a show car, it is a 22 year old car that shows wear consistant with that age vehicle. The arm rest has a slight tear in it. The headliner needs replacing. It has a few quirks;The previous owner had the engine cooling fan wired direct for some reason.Owner mustmake sure that it turns on asyou turn the key (as he instructed). There is a fuse holder under the hood for the fan. Occasionally the fan does not come on when you turn the keyand it usually means the fuse needs to be reseated. It does not blow, just needs to be reseated, it needs a new fuse holder.If this bothers you I would replace the fuse holder (any auto parts store)or better yet replacethe original fan with a new fan that has a built in thermostat switch. Since this is a high revving 4-cylinder I have babied it and made sure the cooling fan is on at all times. The rear hatch takes a few times to close well, probably needs lubrication or adjustment. The rear hatch supports need replacing (I have them included).The A/C blows warm. The doors leak in a hard rain and neednew weather strips. I know its the weather striping because if I squeeze it tofluff it out a little, the leaks slow or stop. So it does need some rubber door and window trim. I've been garaging it andI avoidtaking it out in the rain soit hasn't been anissue.The Windshield wiper arms needadjusting.At highway speed they lose their grip and don't clear the windows.Around town at normal speed they operate fine. The emergency brake does not work it needs a new cable.
The top piece of twin spoiler is missing one screw. Thebottom side has somesurface rust.Some of theareasI have sprayed rust converter on but I do not have a good lift so I have not gotten to it all. Myjack is weak and frankly it isn't worth risking my life for.Its not a huge deal but I would seal the rest and use a good rust preventative paint over the base coat to protect the underside of the car. Particularly if you live in the North. Here in Florida it has not been a huge issue. Once the rustis converted, agoodrubberized undercoat sprayor rust preventative paint would do wonders.
To take this car to the next level I would fix the headliner, e-brake cable, replace the cooling fan and undercoat spray the bottom of the car. This would bring the car to the next level for sure and insure years of enjoyment! I've also considered replacing the rear end. I've seen them rust freeon ebay for $350 plus shipping. Its not a big job and would also improve the cars collectability for sure. Finances are causing me to sell the car, however if I had the time and$$$these are the things I would do.

DISCLAIMER:
Reality Check: You are buying a 1985 vehicle! I've been as detailed and as honest as I could possibly be.The car currentlystarts, runs and drivessmoothly every day. That is not to say tommorow there will not be issues. It is a22 year old car and the buyer is accepting the car "AS-IS". There are no warrantys implied or otherwise. Its a 1985 rare performance car that is not perfect but is a strong and smooth daily driver as of today.Do not buy the car and then complain about it as not being perfect. It is not perfect. The tires have about 65% tread all around. A little time and money and this SVO could be excellent! As with any used car it will have needs and issues in the future it is up to the buyer to accept responsibility for that as well as all shipping costs and arrangements.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help with looking at buying an SVO

PICS:

Old 07-14-2007, 11:34 PM
4cylinders5speeds
1st Gear Member

sounds just like eBay! lol.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:11 AM
SPE926
3rd Gear Member

asking too much, Its not the rare 85.5 its just the slower less desirable 85. I would offer 2500 and start from there
Old 07-16-2007, 12:44 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

reviving a dead thread is not good...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM
svo86
1st Gear Member

Thats funny, I almost ended up buying that car. The guy never responded to my offers. He lives right by me too. I think it was because i asked him to see it in person. It looks good online. I just ended up buying an 86 svo.