SVO Forum

Help starting a 2.3t that has been sitting 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 PM
CoogarXR

Default Help starting a 2.3t that has been sitting 3 years

Hello,

I know this is a Mustang forum, but I figure you guys would know the 2.3 turbo, heh..

Anyhow, I just picked up a 1985 2.3 turbo Cougar XR-7 with 33k miles on it. It has been sitting outside for 3 years without starting. What should I do to ensure a safe start? He assured me that it did run when it was parked.

I have heard a few things from friends, but I want to know what you guys think.

It was parked because it was wrecked lightly on one side, but it's fixable. The interior is like new! I'm having it towed over here this week.

Thanks!
CoogarXR
Old 04-19-2009, 09:51 PM
LiteHwk356

first thing i would do is make sure the turbo is not seized, then i would flush and change all fluids, then remove the plugs and drop some oil down the cylinders to make sure the pistons are lubricated, then try firing her up, if it runs rough, try a tune-up and some seafoam, if it runs good afterwards, congrats
Old 04-20-2009, 12:19 AM
evintho
2nd Gear Member

Depressurize the fuel system, change the fuel filter and drain the gas tank. 3 year old fuel turns into some nasty stuff and tiny injector openings don't like it!
Take some pics and post them over here...........................
www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com

Those guys will love to see a 33,000 mile turbo'd XR7 (as would I)!!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 PM
svo86
1st Gear Member

I bought my 86 Svo, and it had the Original fuel filter in it,... I changed it then the fuel pump died days after. THEN I put 3 different chinese made fuel pumps in it in a 6 month time period. Motorcraft is worth the wait and money. ALWAYS buy motorcraft. Also your valve stem seals are likely going to need replacing. If you puff blue smoke at start up, dont be alarmed. Especially when you pour a Little bit of oil in the cylinders to lube the walls. I bought my Svo and it also sat for 3 years. It had 53,000 miles
Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 PM
MIGISMALLS
1st Gear Member

Exclamation

I also have a question about a sitting turbo for bout 2 yrs or so. I bought my 84 SVO and have had it sitting for quite some time now and I am a lil scared about turning it on. I haerd you have to make sure the turbo is lube or something like that before you turn it on or you will blow it. Can anyone confirm that? Not to mention since I don't have a stock turbo (turbonetics) on it and don't wanna blow a expensive piece like that. Can anyone please help me?

Thanks forany info/help, really preciate it.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:42 AM
NavySVO

index the distributor and remove it. Then size-up a allen head socket from the distibutor drive and use some extensions and a drill as well. duct tape the joints and put the fitting into the oil pump (down the distributor hole) and use the drill to prime the entire system. Ensure the bit is turning in the clockwise direction. Do this for about 60-90 seconds and there will be no need to put any other oil anywhere.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:57 AM
MIGISMALLS
1st Gear Member

Well I didnt want to let any little detail pass me by while I was cheking my car so I took it to a shop for them to chek it and start it up. They ended up telling me that the engine was no good anymore and i had to rebuild it : ( so now ima have to wait longer to get it out n about. does anyone know how much would that run me? he gave me a quote for bout $1200 for all the work? what do you guys think? any other suggestions on mods i should do while ima have the motor off already?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 AM
caleb1966

unless you were there when the shop tested it, dont take their word for it, seeing as it has really low miles i doubt its bad. just try everything everybody else posted and see what results you get. If it is bad and you dont feel you can do the rebuild yourself then pay someone to do it. but a stock rebuild can be done for around 1/2 to 2/3 the cost.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Slow84SVO
1st Gear Member

what did they tell you was wrong with the engine? was it even a reputable shop? i live in phoenix and i cant tell you how many shops try to tell people a simple fix(that they didnt catch) is a bad engine/trans/diff/electrical component that is big $$ and usually doesnt fix the root cause.

also unless rods are knocking, you have bad oil pressure and it fails a wet compression test, you almost for sure have an ok shortblock. it may need new valve stem seals and a good prime thou.

this doesnt mean take it out and beat it as soon as you fire it up. engines that sit tend to crack rings under abuse during the first hundred or so miles after being put back in service.