SVO Forum

84 SVO engine oil choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:05 PM
MIGISMALLS
1st Gear Member

Question 84 SVO engine oil choice?

Whats up guys. Well I sent in my engine to be rebuilt last weekend and im going to get it back tomorrow but i dont know what type of engine oil to use on it. I dont know if i should go full synthetic or semi-synthetic or some of that high mileage kind? any ideas on what kind of oil i should use on it? odometer reads 41k. so any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

oh yeah and ima replace all the sensors i can too, but that gonna be slowly cuz that will be another pretty penny to get them all at one time...lol

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:30 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

I have never run anything super special in my cars. Just regular old oil, a bit on the thinner side since I only run it in the nicer months. Not a whole lot of help there lol
Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM
MIGISMALLS
1st Gear Member

thanks, any lil advise helps.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

I usually run full synthetic in mine, just because I've read that there's less chance of it coking up in the bearing housing for the turbo. But really, any oil should be fine.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:59 PM
MIGISMALLS
1st Gear Member

koo thanks guys. well to start ima run normal oil till i break it in completely cuz its a lot of $$ to swap synthetic oil a couple times while in the break in period.

So I think ima go 10-40. is that koo? any suggestions?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:04 AM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

I run 10-30 here, but the motor isn't going to care too terribly much what it has as long as it lubricates lol. I doubt it gets too terribly cold in LA, so I would vote the thinner the better.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Slow84SVO
1st Gear Member

uhm-no. thinner oil is for the winter... thick oil is for high heat. ie summer.

use synthetics. especially if you are going to keep a flat tappet cam. synthetics last longer, provide better wear patterns and make the engine happier. synthetics do give an output gain. this is marginal but due to the microscopic shapes of the oil.

if you run mineral oil you should invest in a zddp additive for each oil change. in LA i would run 10-40. run a good brand too. not elcheapo supertech walmart stuff.

oils will make a difference.

do not run a fram filter-use wix/napa gold/puroilator/motorcraft filters. not all filters are the same. oil is the lifeblood of your engine.

valvoline/napa brand(used to be valvoline w a different sticker-unsure if it still is)/mobil 1/royal purple are all good.

look into alyson 15-40. its good stuff if you plan on abusing your car. its expensive too.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
SPE926
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slow84SVO
uhm-no. thinner oil is for the winter... thick oil is for high heat. ie summer.

use synthetics. especially if you are going to keep a flat tappet cam. synthetics last longer, provide better wear patterns and make the engine happier. synthetics do give an output gain. this is marginal but due to the microscopic shapes of the oil.

if you run mineral oil you should invest in a zddp additive for each oil change. in LA i would run 10-40. run a good brand too. not elcheapo supertech walmart stuff.

oils will make a difference.

do not run a fram filter-use wix/napa gold/puroilator/motorcraft filters. not all filters are the same. oil is the lifeblood of your engine.

valvoline/napa brand(used to be valvoline w a different sticker-unsure if it still is)/mobil 1/royal purple are all good.

look into alyson 15-40. its good stuff if you plan on abusing your car. its expensive too.
Thicker in winter and thinner in summer is wrong my friend. You have it backwards.

I use 5w-20 synthetic in my svo, i did just rebuild the engine though. Ford put 5w-30 in the 2.3t when it was new so i would stick with what it came with originally.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Slow84SVO
1st Gear Member

these engines are also notorious for spinning bearings. they have clearances like a 350 sbc. as big as the grand canyon. thinner oils are great w a clearance on todays engines that are oe specced to the .000# in ". on older engines with larger clearances this does not hold true. also, when you stress the oil by super heating it(we are playing with boost) you should look into something a bit thicker. i do not understand the quote of me?

Generally for these engines, a heavier oil is better. i ran 10-40 year round in az. i recently relocated. with winters around -5* F i will run 10-30. esslinger recommends 15-40w synthetics on all of their stuff. they been doin this for 30yrs or so...
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 PM
19lbsgohard

castrol edge???

Quick Reply: 84 SVO engine oil choice?