SVT Forums

01 Cobra or 05 GT?

Old 03-08-2006, 04:04 AM
College Station GT

Default 01 Cobra or 05 GT?

Just looking for some feedback... I have owned an 01 GT (minor engine mods, medium suspension mods, full bassani exhaust, 2 sets of street and track wheels/tires) for about 4 years now and it was just destroyed by a deer and a ditch (deer smashed my passenger front suspension which then sent me into the ditch). Insurance got back with me and the vehicle is totalled! So now i am in the market for a new Stang. I have been looking around and found a great deal on an 01 Cobra Convertible with low mileage. Also found a deal on an 05 GT coupe with lower mileage but its around 5 grand more. Both seem to be in great condition and were garage kept. Both have manual transmissions (a must for me) and little to no mods currently.....the 01 Cobra does include a custom car cover and a Borla Cat Back........ What's your opinion? To give you a little background on what my stang's hobbies will include: I only hit the 1/4 mile track about once or twice a year, I will be running in autocross type track events much more often (3-4 times a year) so suspension, handling and braking are very important. It will also be my daily driver and will occasionally go on trips of 200+ miles, so i cant go overbored with the mods.

Here are the pro's and con's that i have found:

Pros

01 Cobra Vert - Convertible is very nice during the Texas spring and fall... extra 20 hp over the 05 GT... Borla exhaust... upgraded suspension and brakes...5 grand cheaper... and its a COBRA.

05 GT Coupe - Newer sweet body style... performance parts for a GT vs a Cobra are easier to come by and cheaper... still under warranty.

Cons

01 Cobra Vert - Convertible is much louder on the highway (so i hear, let me know if I'm wrong)... performance parts are more expensive than GT parts... car is already 5 yrs old... convertible top will need to be replaced with time... would need bolt in roll cage for some autocross events.

05 GT Coupe - Less power... Less braking... lesser suspension... already see alot of them around (not as original)... not a drop top... 5 grand more expensive.

Please let me know of any more Pro's and Con's you might have. Thanks alot.

I leave you with some before and after of my baby...... RIP ol' Girl.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:27 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 01 Cobra or 05 GT?

Cobra for sure man. Much more rare. And if u are an auto crosser the cobra has Independant rear suspension. Thats another Pro to the cobra. Another con to the cobra is that you have to put 93 octane in it. So its up to you.

Good luck man. And think about how cool it will be to save that $5000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

You seem to have limited your self to those 2 autos..

If your serious then look outside your small box.. If you like the 05 style then buy it up.. If you like the 01 style then keep looking..

Example: I was in the market for a Cobra for about a year.. I searched the paper, ebay and just about every auto trader type site out there.. It took some time but I found a 99 Cobra w/ 7k miles.. This thing is in 'showroom condition' and never seen rain or snow.. And the price was smokin.. However, I had to travel out of state to get it..

If your serious and have some time then keep looking.. I'd never own a conv. because they just don't look as hot to me.. The 05's are nice but I won't drive anything that says 'GT' on the side..

Wish you luck..
Old 03-08-2006, 12:04 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

I think you must make the decision between Vert or Coupe, it's hard to be middle of the road on that.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:37 PM
College Station GT

I have done the same thing you did... I have searched the paper, ebay and every auto website i can find and those 2 cars are the best deals i have found. I think i am leaning towards the Cobra because of the extra power, suspension and braking, i would like to have a vert and because of the Cobra "exclusivity". I wish I had unlimited time to hunt down the best deal, but I am currently in a rental car courtesy of the Insurance Co. and i can only last so long in this thing before i start paying for it..... Thank you for the advise.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:55 PM
DarkShadowGT03
3rd Gear Member

Alright Twigbert, lets see. You just criticized him for not looking outside of those 2 cars when you yourself just said you wouldn't look at any kind of GT. Kind of hypocritical wouldn't you say buddy. Maybe he likes those Mustangs the most so what is wrong with that? Now back to more important issues than your stupidity, that was a nice stang you had there, sorry you had to lose it like that. I would recommend the Cobra because of the IRS and the extra power that it has. I personally think it looks better but I am a bit biased because I am not a big fan of the S197 body style but in no way am I encouraging you not to buy it based on the way it looks. The Cobra has the racing-style suspension while the GT is built for the drag strip. The Cobra is also mod friendly with 4V, the car will react better to performance mods and will breathe better than the 3V. And you can say you have a Cobra, which is always good for bragging rights.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:16 PM
College Station GT

DarkShadow... Thanks alot for the advise, the IRS is a great argument for the Cobra! I just tallied up the mods to my 01 GT for the Insurance guys and it came to $9,368. I guess its time to start all over. Almost 4 yrs ago I had an '01 Mineral Grey GT that was rear ended and totalled with around $5,000 invested and I ended up with this '01 Black GT from that wreck.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:25 PM
DarkShadowGT03
3rd Gear Member

No problem, is that 9K figure on top of what you will get for the car or total?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:33 AM
College Station GT

They are going to give me around 14k for the car, then add to that whatever they pay me for the mods. I have about $1800 of audio in the vehicle that I can pull out if they don't pay well for it. But most of the exterior mods are destroyed.... 3 of the 4 20" Cobra R Wheels, all 4 Nitto 555 Tires, McCulla HID Headlight System, Mac Cold Air and TB, Bassani Off-Road X-Pipe, Bassani Cat-Back, Billit Grill, Cleared Headlights, Various Steeda Suspension Parts.

Do you know if the Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter for the later production year of the '01 GT would fit the '01 Cobra? I know they changed the type of transmission in the middle of the Production of the '01's, and i know mine was the later style (T-45 i think), anyone if the tranny in the '01 Cobras is the same?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:26 AM
bl4ckedoutc0bra

ORIGINAL: College Station GT

They are going to give me around 14k for the car, then add to that whatever they pay me for the mods. I have about $1800 of audio in the vehicle that I can pull out if they don't pay well for it. But most of the exterior mods are destroyed.... 3 of the 4 20" Cobra R Wheels, all 4 Nitto 555 Tires, McCulla HID Headlight System, Mac Cold Air and TB, Bassani Off-Road X-Pipe, Bassani Cat-Back, Billit Grill, Cleared Headlights, Various Steeda Suspension Parts.

Do you know if the Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter for the later production year of the '01 GT would fit the '01 Cobra? I know they changed the type of transmission in the middle of the Production of the '01's, and i know mine was the later style (T-45 i think), anyone if the tranny in the '01 Cobras is the same?
I believe the Tri-Ax is the same for either car as long as it has a T-45. I could be wrong though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 Cobra or 05 GT?