SVT Forums

I'm thinking about buying a 96-98 Cobra...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 04:34 AM
KKell83
1st Gear Member

Default I'm thinking about buying a 96-98 Cobra...

Hey I have been looking around for about a month now for mustangs and now I'm about 95% sure that I want a Cobra... I'm totally a gear head I love and even drive quick cars. I have a 10k dollar limit for a car, and I'm thinking these years for the price and they even have the soild axle which should be better for my racing...
At the moment I want to run low-mid 13's at 2900ft. with basic bolt ons if possable. But within a couple years I would like to see around 450rwhp with a built engine. And my life goal well be running mid 11's at sea level, and drive it HOME!!

Since I dont own a mustang yet I would like to get some form of information about these cars... Are they reliable cars, could they take some abuse now and then??? How are the engines of the 96-98's?? If you could start over would you still pick a Cobra over a GT?? I'm used to hard cars to work on so that doesnt bother me at all.. (I have a 92' 3kgt vr4)..

Whats to many miles for a Cobra?? I've been looking at two lately.. There both 97's

The first one is green in color with black/tan interior, well taken care of by one owner. It has a new clutch, pulleys and is lowered with new springs and shocks (1.5" drop) Limo tint windows.. it looks good but has 132K miles! the cluch was changed at 100K. I haven't seen it in person but it looks good, he said it doesnt smoke make any noise nothing.! And is looking for $7000 for it...

While the second one is white, with full black interior. Well taken care of.. Totally stock with 31k miles! not totally sure if its the original engine but he wants 11k for it...

Whats a good buy??? Thanks Kenneth Kell
PS. I'll have more question down the road to be prepared.. lol
Old 04-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I'm thinking about buying a 96-98 Cobra...

I've owned two Mustangs and they are very solid cars.. My first was a 92 5.0 and I was 19 years old.. Whichs means I beat the **** out of it and it took every single power brake and dumping of the cluch..

My latest is a 99 Cobra and I LOVE IT.. Lots of kids and women have GTs so I wanted something more special.. Thats why I went with the Cobra.. I think it was worth every extra penny too..

As far as price for your stang.. I searched ebay, autotrader and a few other web sites for the right car.. I looked for about two months and had to fly to another state to get it.. I know you can beat the prices you have listed.. The 32k one for $11k doesn't sound bad though.. I origionall wanted a 96-98 Cobra because I really liked the body style and thought the Cobra R rims looked smokin hot on those years.. If your looking a high milage car to lower the price and save money for extra parts then I suggest keep looking on those sites I recommended.. If you more about low limes and condition of the body then the 32k mile one isn't bad.. Although, I still think its high..
Old 04-03-2006, 09:38 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

You wont regret it if you are looking for a good N/A mustang. They are very dependable.. I drive mine 100+ miles a day round trip and it has 124k or so on it. I have only had it since december.. Its been to the track where I pulled a 14 flat with a terrible 60' time.. You can see they dyno results and that was with plugs that were going bad and the high end was choppy as hell.. could probably have put up better numbers then those.

The motors on the cobra's are very well done. THey are 4v heads vs the 2v heads.. here is a good site that shows a lot of what the difference is http://mysticcobra.net/96info.shtml
The motors are hand assembled by SVT. Each one has a badge with 2 signatures on them of the guys who put them together. THey can handle quite a bit of abuse.

I would pick one over a GT any day of the week. The SN cobra's vs New Edge GT's usualy run about the same in the 1/4 stock for stock but you would fly by one if you kept going over a 1/4 of a mlie. The 4v is much more responsive to intake and exhaust mod's as well. Make one breath and it helps a LOT. They have much more potential then a GT if your going to bulid them up.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:57 AM
9COILEDSERPENT6
2nd Gear Member

I had and still have a 94 gt and loved it, it was quick and depenable. Untill one night i made the mistake of sitting in my buddys 95 cobra and he took me for quite a ride. After that i new i had to have one. I was looking for a 94-95 cobra cause i thouht the 5.0 was a better motor. After i researched it i found out that 94-95 was rated at 245 HP and the 96-98 was rated at 305HP. I checked out all the sites for about two weeks when i found out a that a guy about 3 miles from my work had one for sale. Test drove it, bought it, it was lowered, had y2k cobra 18in chrome rims, autometer gauges, subframes, centerforce dual friction clutch, 373 posi, msd coil packs, K&n filter, NOS (which is coming off to free up cash). All for $8,000, Oh yeah it had 99,000 miles, runs awesome, nevered failed me, smoked a 95 cobra on interstate, and still get over 20 miles to the gallon. If you ask me you cant get more car for your money than the 96-98 cobra. Hope this was helpful and not boring.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:35 PM
el cabong

I just bought a 96 Cobra in February. Great car I love it. Its 100K+ but still running strong. Drive it everyday to work, no issues so far. Can get 20+mpg, but I usually get closer to 17.5-18. Has plenty of power to shut down your average ricer in a hurry. Great resale value, and you know they will eventualy be worth a lot more than a gt. Now's a great time to buy one.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:57 AM
ride_maine
1st Gear Member

not to steal the thread but how much can nos be sold for b/c im looking into a 97 cobra and dont even need the nitrous?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:32 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ride_maine

not to steal the thread but how much can nos be sold for b/c im looking into a 97 cobra and dont even need the nitrous?
A used kit off a car doesnt go for very much.. the kits are almost all less then 1000 with everything included (bottle warmer, remote opener, one tank).

Keep it on your car. You'll want to use it eventualy.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:04 PM
98BlackCobra
2nd Gear Member

I just bought a 98 cobra with 78k on it for 8 grand. Absolutly love it, def get one.

Carl
Old 04-06-2006, 06:02 AM
KKell83
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replays everyone. So it really doesn't matter on either mustang I pick? Should I keep looking or wheel and deal with the ones I found... What would be a good price for the 97' with 132K miles or should I just stay away from it. Would the 31K mile one be a good choice is he goes down to say 10K, what would be a good price honestly?.. I also heard that the t-45 trans are kinda weak and break alot, is that true? (breaks, as in syncros)
I would like to add boost to the car some day something like 8psi on the stock motor if it could handle it..

Okay now heres a DUMB question, what would be an over all faster car.. A 96-98 turboed Cobra at 8psi vs. a LS1 camaro with the same turbo and also running 8psi.??? Both cars are STOCK! beside basic BPU.

Thanks Kenneth.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:22 AM
KKell83
1st Gear Member

Are all DOHC motors interchangable??? As in Crank, pistons, rods????

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying a 96-98 Cobra...