SVT Forums

lighter wheels... worth my investment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:22 PM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

Default lighter wheels... worth my investment?

I know that this question might do better elsewhere but... I am in a slight dilemma. I need to replace at least my rear wheels on one of my cobras due to the dumb bass that I bought the car from having to go and slam it into a curb at high speed warping the **** out of them... I like the style of them just fine and having blown tons and tons of dough on car, I have been trying to find two new ones of the same type. They are just polished cobra R knock-offs made by American Eagle Wheels (as far as I can tell)... Can't find them anywhere on the net. It seems like they must have discontinued that style... So, I started looking for something different and found some lightweight Konig Villain wheels that struck my fancy. But here is where my dilemma starts... I had replaced my stock cobra rims on my other car with some Ford cobra Rs and still have them lying around. I could throw them on this car and continue to save for the Kenne Bell blower that I want/need, or I could blow a little cash and get those 21 lb. Konigs (that have a style similar to the cobra Rs). I have been really tempted to do the Konigs due to the light weight (from what I understand they are 4 lbs lighter a piece) and better look then stock, but I am not sure that it would really amount to much more then aesthetics... I will say that I know about the whole lighter rotating mass rule as applied to acceleration and braking.

So, my bottom line questions are... Does anyone know what kind of difference 4 lb lighter wheels make in 1/4 mile times or 0 to 60? Does the lighter rotating mass effect increase proportionally with HP as I would think that it would? What the heck should I do?

Any feedback is appreciated. I need help convincing myself.