SVT Forums

I seriously need a clutch!!! any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:57 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

Default I seriously need a clutch!!! any suggestions

WOW my clutch is at the very tip top of the pedal. I seriously need a new one. I have some mechanical skills and almost every tool. Is this something that i could change myself. I just took over this car from my bro. Well he put down alot of love and hate on this car. I have the saleen wing. As well as the saleen rear brake fins(the fake brake coolers). It also has a cai, as well as a 3:73 ( the 3:73 really gets this car moving) anyway what is the stock gear on the 99 cobras, and yes mine is a good one. It also has 18" zr rims and it has maxim motorsports shocks on the front. as soon a i get a pic i will post. Anyway my mechanic told me to go with a stage 1 or 2 clutch, because he said anything harder would shutter when im taking it easy. Is this true. What clutch would anyone suggest...should i go back to a stock clutch..... is the stock clutch ok...... please help.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:47 AM
mg01svt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I seriously need a clutch!!! any suggestions

Stock gearing is 3.27.

Clutch swap is fairly straight forward. Might need a bit pulling and re-installing the trans. You will want to get the flywheel resurfaced as well. DONT SKIP THIS STEP. A good machine shop will do it for under 50 bucks.

Your mech. is correct if you go with a big time clutch you will get chatter.

If you are not planning a bunch of high HP mods then get another stocker. Go ahead and change the throw out bearing and pressure plate too. Most of the time the clutch will come with a new pressure plate.

www.gefracing.com has some excellent pricing

A

Old 08-04-2006, 11:38 AM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

i have heard that this is how the clutches are on mustangs. When i'm racing around my clutch is the same way like all the way back on the pedal and then it tightens back up and loosens again. Every person i've talked to said their clutch is the same way.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:16 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

ohh ok. Its not really slipping that bad. I just want to know when i romp on its going to go cause im planning a trip to bradenton motor speedway next saterday to see what im running in the quarter. There is a 8th mile track bout 20 min away, and the quarter is bout 40min away. I hope i will be running low 13's. Ok anyway do you have to always put premium fuel in the cobras. Man on the way to work this morning i straight dusted a 5.0 the guy stopped at the next light and asked if i had a supercharger on it. I just laughed and said no.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:24 AM
RR03Cobra
1st Gear Member

Do you have a firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant on it?? Thye reason that I asking is that MOST of the time, if your clutch isn't slipping, it just needs adjusting. Even though Ford half heartedly designed a SUPPOSED adjustable clutch for cobras and stangs, they don't adjust. I had the same problem in a few other stangs and bought a firewall adjuster and clutch 3 hook quadrant, cured the problem. With the firewall adjuster, you can actually set the pedal where the clutch will grab and let go!! This is en easy feat by turning an adjuster ****, once installed! I just used the UPR set. Good price, easy to install, and easy adjustment! I would definitely try this first, this kit cost about 50 bucks, I think. A clutch will cost ALOT more. In the neighborhood of 300 plus install!! Good luck! Just p.m. is you need some tips for installation!!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:04 AM
NonMiAnnoiare23

ORIGINAL: RR03Cobra

bought a firewall adjuster and clutch 3 hook quadrant

I have the same problem, where did you pick it up for $50
Old 09-11-2006, 02:11 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

i got the clutch replaced, wheeww alot better. It drives like a new car.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:17 PM
MuscleOwnzRice
4th Gear Member

if your going for a higher horsepower aplication i would go with a King Cobra clutch, not too expensive. I think 160 shipped off of Mustangtuning.com or if your just going with a low horspower fit i would stick with the stock. I had a King Cobra clutch on my fox body and it was awesome, what im putting in my car. I recommend King Cobra but stock if you like the feel and grab of that one.