SVT Forums

NEW HERE,WAITING FOR MY O3 COBRA

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 AM
JamesTronix
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NEW HERE,WAITING FOR MY O3 COBRA

I have known quite a few people who changed their S/C pulley with no ill effects. The main thing that cases problems with a pulley swap is heat. That is why you need an aftermarket heat exchanger.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:00 AM
JamesTronix
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mysticsvtcobra96

if it has the sock pulley on the charger then i would NOT change it..get yourself a 6lb lower and a diablosport predator tuner and dont mess with it..there has been lost of cases where the seal on the stock charger goes out and leaves people on the side of the road so just get the lower..youll be happy with that
Are you saying that the seal is going out because the smaller pulley is spinning the shaft too fast for the seal to handle? Doesn't a 6 lb lower pulley still make the shaft spin faster? If it didn't then it would not make any extra boost.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:33 AM
zincsvtcobra
2nd Gear Member

Makes sense to me. Either way, its going to spin faster.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:55 AM
cobrabite

ya thats what i was thinking too?i was gonna say either way it should still spin the shaft faster.
and correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt changing the upper compared to the lower,the upper should be easier right?
i am sure i will be doing all the mods needed to support the pulley change. because over the winter its either gonna be a ported blower or a kenne bell,depending on how good of a christmas of course. and if i can get the funds lol.
thanks for all the info though guys![sm=crossbonesgif.gif]
Old 08-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Good deal! Have you signed all the paperwork?

That kind of price throws up some red flags to me, I'd give the car the good ol finger tip inspection all around the edges of the body panels, check for tape marks (paint build-up) and spot puddy around the trunk area.

If it's clean, that's a great deal!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:40 PM
JamesTronix
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cobrabite

ya thats what i was thinking too?i was gonna say either way it should still spin the shaft faster.
and correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt changing the upper compared to the lower,the upper should be easier right?
i am sure i will be doing all the mods needed to support the pulley change. because over the winter its either gonna be a ported blower or a kenne bell,depending on how good of a christmas of course. and if i can get the funds lol.
thanks for all the info though guys![sm=crossbonesgif.gif]
Yea, Its easy as long as you have a good pulley puller from billetflow or pulleyboys.com
Old 08-16-2006, 09:54 PM
cobrabite

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Good deal! Have you signed all the paperwork?

That kind of price throws up some red flags to me, I'd give the car the good ol finger tip inspection all around the edges of the body panels, check for tape marks (paint build-up) and spot puddy around the trunk area.

If it's clean, that's a great deal!
Ya i thought that too! but the carfax was clean and they wanted 25k for it which is average. i just got good talking skills. so i talked them down a bit. so if you think about 25k is about right! haha

u know i got the hook up!!!!!!!![sm=chairshot.gif] this is what i do to dealers! haha
Old 08-16-2006, 10:51 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

ok how do i explain this....when you pull the upper pulley off of the supercharger you put strain on the shaft that causes the seal to go out..ive seen/heard of more than 1 cobras seal going out because of someone changing the pulley and causing damage to thier seal..not because of how fast it was spinning,simply cause its pressed on for a reason..and btw...ask any mechanic who changes pulleys on the 03/04 cobras often..if he knows what he is talking about and not just interested in making money he will tell you the same..you dont have to change the upper to run 11s
Old 08-16-2006, 11:19 PM
cobrabite

ORIGINAL: mysticsvtcobra96

ok how do i explain this....when you pull the upper pulley off of the supercharger you put strain on the shaft that causes the seal to go out..ive seen/heard of more than 1 cobras seal going out because of someone changing the pulley and causing damage to thier seal..not because of how fast it was spinning,simply cause its pressed on for a reason..and btw...ask any mechanic who changes pulleys on the 03/04 cobras often..if he knows what he is talking about and not just interested in making money he will tell you the same..you dont have to change the upper to run 11s
Thanks for all the info guys,i see what your sayin about the seal now.i might not even do a pulley swap and just pool my money till spring and get a kenne belle or whipple upgrade with some other things to go with of course. we'll see!!