SVT Forums

Future Ford shop says s/c don't need oil chng

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Solomon Grundy
1st Gear Member

Default Future Ford shop says s/c don't need oil chng

I called the ford dealership to get a quote on changing supercharger oil, and how often it needs to be done. My mechanic down the street says a few hundred dollars, because the s/c has to be completely uninstalled. What I have gathered via internet was that the change should be done as often as the engine oil is changed. Ford put me on hold for a few minutes and comes back to say that "those don't need oil changes."

Anyone have a fact based answer and links to how to's? Since getting into cars in the past year I have noticed that there is a ton of misinformation both on the internet and by word of mouth. Maybe borders will have a book on cobras that I can grab.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:49 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Future Ford shop says s/c don't need oil chng

Not sure if it applies to Cobra superchargers, but my Series V calls for a change with 5 - 50 synthetic at 50,000 miles. You can buy a drain kit for the supercharger or use a turkey baster (there's no drain plug....so you have to use suction to remove the oil from the top of the supercharger housing). If you change it earlier than 50,000 miles, then change it every 3,000 miles thereafter.
Mills

2002 Saleen S-281E (#46)
1997 SVT Cobra (#5726)
Old 10-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Silver01Stang

Cobra Info
You don't have to remove the supercharger to change the oil. I'm assuming you are talking about the 03-04 cobra. Here is a good
link and see 2.1.19.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:28 AM
Cobra_Commander
1st Gear Member

There are many threads w/ pics on this. Do a search on here and svtperformance.com .

I also called a dealership, an SVT dealership, and they also told me the whole unit needed to be removed. But after further talk I found out they were confusing my eaton blower w/ the blower found on the Shelby. This may be what happened w/ the dealer you called.

It is very rare you find people who know exactly when or how to change them b/c not many have needed changed so far. This most likely being b/c the cars are only 3 yrs old and many are not daily drivers and thus have low miles.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:24 AM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Solomon Grundy

I called the ford dealership to get a quote on changing supercharger oil, and how often it needs to be done. My mechanic down the street says a few hundred dollars, because the s/c has to be completely uninstalled. What I have gathered via internet was that the change should be done as often as the engine oil is changed. Ford put me on hold for a few minutes and comes back to say that "those don't need oil changes."

Anyone have a fact based answer and links to how to's? Since getting into cars in the past year I have noticed that there is a ton of misinformation both on the internet and by word of mouth. Maybe borders will have a book on cobras that I can grab.
Someone already mentioned the truth on the matter, it's a simple tube siphoning act that can be achieved in like 20 mins. with cleanup time factored in. You really don't need an oil change unless you are overspinning your blower, which most of us are. I have heard rumors that a stock blower should be good for 100k miles before oil change, but it is significantly lowered when we are overspinning (creating excessive heat) it, probably should change every 10-20k for optimum efficiency.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Solomon Grundy
1st Gear Member

That answers it, thanks guys!

I am sorry to have posted such a dead end thread, but I really did do a search for info before I posted and came up with very little. Thanks again, this will save me some money I would have spent every 3k miles.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:37 PM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

No question is dumb and I don't think the flamers are here, that only happens on modularfords.com or svtperf.