SVT Forums

My 03 cobra V Acura RSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Solomon Grundy
1st Gear Member

Default My 03 cobra V Acura RSX

I posted a few threads as SatisfyinglyPurple a few weeks back, about racing a sleeper 5.0 and how bad my shifting techniques are, some may remember.

I have become friends with a guy at work that I consider a ricer. He is a ricer because he put's form over function as far as body kits that make his acura look like a race car, though it is not nearly up to the performance standards of one. We are on good terms, and like to debate which is better- import/domestic. He has the generic argument that imports weigh less and can be upgraded to beat a domestic car with little cash therefore they are better. He also argues that domestics like mine have so much torque that they wouldn't go anywhere in a race, which in my case as a rookie driver would sort of be true but I've been practicing.

So he just bought a new Acura RSX and is really pumped about it. We happen to leave work at the same time and he offers to take a ride with me in my car. We work out in the middle of nowhere and get off at 4am so I cool let's open her up. We put the top down so he can hear the supercharger whine louder than ever since the pulley was put on. I give him a 0-80 demonstration and slow down to ask if he heard the S/C. He says he didn't because he we were going too fast and he was nervous. That's funny to me.

We get in his car and do the same thing and even though I was not impressed with his speed and how he was in 6th gear at 80mph, I say how neat/weird it was that imports shift around 8k rpm, and how interesting v-tech is. I was being nice and had fun. He then says "let's race so I can see how bad that thing kills me." We race twice from a dig and I destroy him both times. Until I get the wheel hop fixed, I am learning to rev at 2.5 and ease the clutch out, making for a slow start but as soon as I feel hooked to the pavement, I can stomp the pedal. We are even in first, he get's about half a car on me in second and by time I get into third, he is becoming a spec in my rear view.

I have a day off, to come back and hear all over work that I was beat by an ACURA!! I call him and ask what the hell his problem was, and of course he denies ever bragging too hard but says he still got me up to 80mph. I ask the friends at work and they say he was challenging all the other mustangs at work because he was confident after beating a cobra.

I know I am not currently the fastest shifter, as you know from my previous story but I was really really proud of not wheel hopping or peeling out. I feel that just because his tiny car got me in the start of the race, would not win him any money in a bet OR at the 1/4mile track.

what a ricer.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 PM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My 03 cobra V Acura RSX

He was scared... that is funny. You are allowed to laugh... You may want to look at some mods to make the wheel-hop disappear. I don't think that you should have to hold back to keep the wheels from hopping, but instead, you should have to get some stickier tires to keep them from spinning... if you know what I mean... I couldn't tell you what the fix is as I am a solid axle cobra owner, but I heard someone say on these forums that there was a fix out there... You should lay low on the talk with him until the wheel hop is a thing of the pass, and then, when he is good and worked up, drag him in front of yours and his buddies, and watch him cry... that is funny too...
Old 10-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Cobra_Commander
1st Gear Member

Here's the famous "red pill" IRS fix...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=231900

I don't know from experience how well it works. But I will soon seeing how I finally got all the parts!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:40 AM
CobraDriv3r
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7arpad7

He was scared... that is funny. You are allowed to laugh... You may want to look at some mods to make the wheel-hop disappear. I don't think that you should have to hold back to keep the wheels from hopping, but instead, you should have to get some stickier tires to keep them from spinning... if you know what I mean... I couldn't tell you what the fix is as I am a solid axle cobra owner, but I heard someone say on these forums that there was a fix out there... You should lay low on the talk with him until the wheel hop is a thing of the pass, and then, when he is good and worked up, drag him in front of yours and his buddies, and watch him cry... that is funny too...
Not sure why he should lay low, stock he will blow the doors off an RSX. Even more so with an S/C pulley. I would'nt lay low. Go out there and woop his @$$ an RSX can not hang w/a Cobra.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:50 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

Well cobra driver... I got from him Grundy that the origional race was pretty close up to 80 mph... We all know that the terminator mustang with a pulley mod is near unbeatable on the street as far as HP goes... So, I am mearly stating that to get that ricer to cry he should solve the simple problem of the wheel hop first (to get the full effect)... There is no way that the raw power of a charged stang, if gotten to the ground, could even be considered in the same neighborhood as an Acura... I hope you get my point now... Bottom line is that I want to see the pants spanked off this dude with the rice power...
Old 10-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Solomon Grundy
1st Gear Member

I agree. My whole problem with him is that in his mind he thinks that his car is fast and that he WON, and that now has the right to challenge all the other mustangs in the parking lot all because he got me off the line. He should get the trophy for the 60' race, but that's it. I also have to go to work and correct the rumored outcome to twenty different morons who say "i heard you lost to that acura!"

I have this week off, and his phone number. I will have my wife in the passenger seat this time to be witness...

I want to fix the IRS stuff asap, but it is turning out to be more expensive than I thought. The poly-ure bushings are going to cost a lot because the stock ones have to be burned out, says the mechanic.

We are going to set boundaries, stop light to stop light this time so he can't claim that he was giving up in the end. I want him to lose and know it.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:18 AM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

Here's a cheaper fix, go get yourself some Nittos DRs. When I had those with just a 2.93 pulley, I could pull 1.7-1.8 60ft out of that. If you can't beat him off the line with DRs, then you need to go give your Cobra to someone else and quit whining about losing the early battle. Just learn how to drive your Stang man, grow a pair!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Solomon Grundy
1st Gear Member

The nitto's will come, but not all mods can be afforded at once for some people. I am sure things will change when the DR's come, but for now that's my situation: 7th month into driving manuals-rookie driver still practicing on stock rubber. Not making any excuses or anything, I just want to be factual about the race. I guess I missed making the main point of the post to be that I beat a quintessential ricer and what does he do, but a verbal flyby.

As the weeks roll on though you will surely hear more kill posts because I will get better, and I will get DR's

Old 10-27-2006, 05:41 PM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Solomon Grundy

The nitto's will come, but not all mods can be afforded at once for some people. I am sure things will change when the DR's come, but for now that's my situation: 7th month into driving manuals-rookie driver still practicing on stock rubber. Not making any excuses or anything, I just want to be factual about the race. I guess I missed making the main point of the post to be that I beat a quintessential ricer and what does he do, but a verbal flyby.

As the weeks roll on though you will surely hear more kill posts because I will get better, and I will get DR's

Just so you know man, I was just giving you ****! Keep practicing (on a closed course of course...) These cars are not easy to get out of the hole, especially as you add power. The first piece to the puzzle is obviously better tires, but the next piece is to change the stock clutch. You can pull some good times with a stock IRS, just have to know how hard you can push it. Good luck and good kill, btw!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:22 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

With all due respect....you have about 200 HP on the big-dog RSX's 201HP (the only one that's a 6-speed, which I assume you are talking about) with truckloads more torque. Likewise, they weigh 2800 lbs plus....so it's not like he weights less than matchbox car. This guy shouldn't even be close to you when your going 3/4 throttle (e.g. may help in future not to get all over it until you are out of crazy wheel spin territory ).

We have an Acura TL (270HP) and to tell you the truth.....if my wife and I raced to 70 mph with her driving the Saleen and me driving the TL, I would be so far behind that I wouldn't even be able to read the license plate on my Saleen. I consider the 03 and 04 Cobras in the same company as my S-281E....trust me....you own that guy (even if you don't know it).

Sounds like the Acura owner is similar to those little fish you always see swimming under Great Whites[]....too afraid of predators to swim out on their own and rightfully so.
Mills

2002 Saleen S-281E (#46)
1997 SVT Cobra (#5726)

Quick Reply: My 03 cobra V Acura RSX