SVT Forums

IRS Axle Swap?

Old 02-28-2007, 05:40 PM
GusinCA

Default IRS Axle Swap?

I have a 2000 GT Convertible.

A buddy has a wrecked (from the front)03 Cobra coupe.

Two questions for all of you:

1.) Is it worth it to swap the suspension from the Cobra to the GT? Is the ride much smoother, softer, harder?

2.) Is it a huge pain in the butt? What's involved (I have access to a lift and full tools and a mechanic)? Any parts I need to buy in advance?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:13 PM
michael12203
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: IRS Axle Swap?

If you plan on running you car at the track then dont do it, but other than that the ride is pretty good!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:17 PM
GusinCA

More details, please!
Ride difference, difficulty of swap, parts, etc?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
ZAXJAX
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GusinCA

I have a 2000 GT Convertible.

A buddy has a wrecked (from the front)03 Cobra coupe.

Two questions for all of you:

1.) Is it worth it to swap the suspension from the Cobra to the GT? Is the ride much smoother, softer, harder?

2.) Is it a huge pain in the butt? What's involved (I have access to a lift and full tools and a mechanic)? Any parts I need to buy in advance?

Thanks!
Depends on how you want drive your GT! IRS rears are being switched out all the time in favor of a solid axle. You get better traction during the launch at the track or street racing. I had a 2003 GT and the ride was rough and it didn't handle like my 04 Cobra with IRS.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:56 PM
GusinCA

I am more into comfort and handling than all out launch times.
So the consensus is that it would be good for me.

Maybe I should post a trade? Maybe there are people out there who want my solid axle in exchange for their IRS and save myself any money buying one?

Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

1) depends on what your idea of "worth" is. Is it worth it in terms of comfort and cornering? yes...my buddy has an 02 GT and i can really tell the difference. My friends have been amazed at the vehicles ability to take turns without the tires slipping and the girls love it's ability to smooth road imperfections. In terms ofstrait performance? No, its more expensive to mod to handle the power and there is a much smaller market for it. It's a ton of money for replacements let alone performance modifications to it. You'll spend the first half of your money replacing bushings to control its wheel hop. It can be something special, but you need the money first, and Kenny brown isn't in business right now to offer the friggin awesome re-designed IRS setup and rear steer kit (i'm already in line)

2)It's not much to drop itin https://www.trademotion.com/schemati...cal/FWP110.gifas you can see by the mounting points, you should definitally be able to do it...if i was to offer any advice on what do first, press any old bushings and upgrade anything before you put it in, i would advise on differential bushing (marked 6 in the diagram) as it is usually the first to cause severe damaged
Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 PM
GusinCA

Thanks for the detailed reply.

So you're saying the ride is smoother and it corners better - that is exactly what I want.
I'm more of a canyon carver than a drag racer.

So besides bushings, there is no other modifications necessary? No modifications to the exhaust orbrakes?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:57 PM
michael12203
2nd Gear Member

you will have to get the exhause from the cobra or get a irs catback, your exhaust will not fit under the car with the irs
Old 03-01-2007, 06:45 PM
GusinCA

Ah, that sounds more complicated now.
I doubt someone will want to do an even swap since I'm getting their exhaust, axle, etc.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:59 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

the exact opposite there's a TON of 03-04 cobra's wanting a solid axle swap (you'll be surprised at the price a solid goes for) for their drag racing projects...you've got a bigger market than you think, and if you get the whole axle, the mounting points for a cat back are on it...and you'll be set with a cat back

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IRS Axle Swap?