SVT Forums

5.0 cobra vs 4.6 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Default 5.0 cobra vs 4.6 cobra

what are the major differences? all i really know is the 94-05 has 240hp and the 96-98 has 305..but what else is different on these? and what makes them different from GT(i know the 4.6 is DOHC, and the 5.0 has GT40's and a different intake)? and finally,what would i be best off withafter headers, full exhaust, UD pullys and a CAI? just a good DD, not anything huge
Old 03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 5.0 cobra vs 4.6 cobra

better off with a 4.6 more reliable and easier to diagnose if you have a problem. plus the 96-98 cobras aree the best looking mustangs ever built
Old 03-05-2007, 08:29 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

uh i love those cars but they are not the best lookin stangs ever built. that title goes to the 69 boss 429, then the 03/.04 cobra. but the 5.0 cobra is a good motor and real easy to work on being a pushrod and parts are cheap on it but the computers arent that good but oh well. the 4.6 cobras of that generation were wierd they had 305 hp but they were more like a vtec with all the poewr in the upper rpms. out of the two it depends on what u want, stock power go with the 4.6 but if u want modability then go with the 5.0.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:46 PM
michael12203
2nd Gear Member

the 5.0 cobras hp was underated with more like 275 hp. I believe the 5.0 is easier to work on just because i had 4 of them but i like my 4.6 very dependable and tough also!!! just what you want
Old 03-06-2007, 02:48 AM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ih8chevy

the 4.6 cobras of that generation were wierd they had 305 hp but they were more like a vtec with all the poewr in the upper rpms.
If you EVER compare my Cobra to a Honda AGAIN, I'm gonna jump through the internet and smack you!

As for the best loking stang...I dunno. I sure as hell like mine, but I didn't at first. It grew on me, and now I like it alot, but the 03/04 definitly wins.

The differences between the two engines I'm not really sure about. I also have a 90 Mark7. The pushrod 5.0 seems to be a little balsier down low, but would never stand a chance agains my cobra. (It weight in at over 4000 pounds). As for the VTEC issue, the 4.6 makes good power up to 3250 rpm and them loads of power above. The 96-98s have a runner that blocks the secondary intake valves up until 3250. This helps create more low end torque.

Parts ffor the 5.0 are much cheaper, simply because its older, has an established aftermarket (I guess the 4.6 does too), and is a pushrod. If you want to do cams on a 4.6 4v, you're looking at a ton of dough because you need 4 cmshafts. Also, from what I've read, the 4.6 is infinitly more complicated than the 5.0. However, get the 4.6 I love mine and it loves me back.

Matt
Old 03-06-2007, 06:49 AM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

Ehhh... dont diss the Vtec, its a GREAT engine design, and if tuned/turboed properly its a cobra killer.
One of the very few 4-bangers I enjoy working on/seeing modded.

As for the 4.6 - 5.0 question.

The main difference is this. 1 cam < 4 cams. 24 valves < 32 valves. The greater always being the 4.6.

The 4.6 has alot more moving parts, and a heftier price tag on them to boot.
5.0's are **** cheap. If you look in any parts magazine youll see 4.6 cobra parts are way overpriced compared to 5.0 parts.

As far as whats the better platform, alot of people use both, so I suppose its really all on preferance.

Something to keep in mind though. The 4.6's horsepower rating is more than its cubic measurements. And if you know anything about engines, you know that isnt too common to find for a factory bone stock V8. (unless we're talking upper end sports cars)
So you know it comes a little beefed already.

Alot of people fuss and whine about the liter lossage. First of all it doesnt mean jack squat. If ferraris can use 3 liter v8's then our 4.6's are fine. Secondly you can always bore your 4.6 block out if need be. (I did that to mine)

You might also like to know that this american lemans racer uses the same ford 4.6 vin-v..

and yes I know its ugly.

And if your wondering its the Panoz Esperante GTR-1
Old 03-06-2007, 02:48 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

i wasnt comparing ur pos to a honda, ur pos wouldnt even compare to a honda *******. and this just goes to show how much you know about honda. ur car would probably get beat by some simple little honda hatchbacks.
ORIGINAL: uofipilot

the 4.6 cobras of that generation were wierd they had 305 hp but they were more like a vtec with all the poewr in the upper rpms.
If you EVER compare my Cobra to a Honda AGAIN, I'm gonna jump through the internet and smack you!

As for the best loking stang...I dunno. I sure as hell like mine, but I didn't at first. It grew on me, and now I like it alot, but the 03/04 definitly wins.

The differences between the two engines I'm not really sure about. I also have a 90 Mark7. The pushrod 5.0 seems to be a little balsier down low, but would never stand a chance agains my cobra. (It weight in at over 4000 pounds). As for the VTEC issue, the 4.6 makes good power up to 3250 rpm and them loads of power above. The 96-98s have a runner that blocks the secondary intake valves up until 3250. This helps create more low end torque.

Parts ffor the 5.0 are much cheaper, simply because its older, has an established aftermarket (I guess the 4.6 does too), and is a pushrod. If you want to do cams on a 4.6 4v, you're looking at a ton of dough because you need 4 cmshafts. Also, from what I've read, the 4.6 is infinitly more complicated than the 5.0. However, get the 4.6 I love mine and it loves me back.

Matt
Old 03-06-2007, 02:49 PM
ih8chevy
5th Gear Member

u mean 16 valves
ORIGINAL: italia10588

Ehhh... dont diss the Vtec, its a GREAT engine design, and if tuned/turboed properly its a cobra killer.
One of the very few 4-bangers I enjoy working on/seeing modded.

As for the 4.6 - 5.0 question.

The main difference is this. 1 cam < 4 cams. 24 valves < 32 valves. The greater always being the 4.6.

The 4.6 has alot more moving parts, and a heftier price tag on them to boot.
5.0's are **** cheap. If you look in any parts magazine youll see 4.6 cobra parts are way overpriced compared to 5.0 parts.

As far as whats the better platform, alot of people use both, so I suppose its really all on preferance.

Something to keep in mind though. The 4.6's horsepower rating is more than its cubic measurements. And if you know anything about engines, you know that isnt too common to find for a factory bone stock V8. (unless we're talking upper end sports cars)
So you know it comes a little beefed already.

Alot of people fuss and whine about the liter lossage. First of all it doesnt mean jack squat. If ferraris can use 3 liter v8's then our 4.6's are fine. Secondly you can always bore your 4.6 block out if need be. (I did that to mine)

You might also like to know that this american lemans racer uses the same ford 4.6 vin-v..

and yes I know its ugly.

And if your wondering its the Panoz Esperante GTR-1
Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM
HMUSN
2nd Gear Member

ANNNNNNDDD the thread takes a turn downhill
Old 03-06-2007, 03:51 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

i wasnt comparing ur pos to a honda, ur pos wouldnt even compare to a honda *******. and this just goes to show how much you know about honda. ur car would probably get beat by some simple little honda hatchbacks.
WOHA there champ. Take the tampon out of your *** and learn how to take a joke.

You clearly compared 96-98s to hondas (read: the 4.6 cobras of that generation were wierd they had 305 hp but they were more like a vtec). I wasnt bothered by that at all. Someone clearly can't take a joke. And yes, my "pos" would get beat by some simple honda hatchbacks. You can make anything fast. But at the end of the day, I still have a cobra, not a ricer piece of crap that sounds like a pissed off weed-eater.[:'(]
And where did I ANYWHERE claim to know ANYTHING about hondas? You're an idiot.

Quick Reply: 5.0 cobra vs 4.6 cobra