SVT Forums

Mods with extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:55 AM
NonMiAnnoiare23

Default Mods with extended warranty

When I bought my 01 Cobra I also bought a extended bumper to bumper warranty with it just in case something happens to the motor or trans but I have run into a problem. They told me that I could not upgrade my car at all b/c it would void the warranty. My question is did anybody else run into this, and is there parts you can upgrade that would not void the warranty like cat back exhaust, gears, etc. I think they are not being completely honest with me with the warranty info and advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mods with extended warranty

usually cat back exhaust is ok, but if you change anything that affects air fuel ratios ie.. intake, s/c, tune etc. it will void the engine, trans and drivetrain warranties. they would still cover other equiptment like lights electrical etc.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:14 AM
NonMiAnnoiare23

Thanks for the info, I guess I just have to wait for the 4 yr warranty to be up. What about gears? I wanted to put in 3:90's I wonder if that would void the warranty.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:23 AM
cencalmatt
1st Gear Member

Dude anything you modify basically, will void any warranty covering anything that has to do with what you modded. Like if it affects a driveline persay, driveline is not covered. If you're that worried about it just leave it alone. I'm just getting into modding my cobra and I'm expecting difficulties. That's just how it goes. Sucks huh?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:47 PM
NonMiAnnoiare23

Yes it does suck a lot exspecially since on the way home I had a WRX keep up with me all the way up to 100 mph
Old 03-15-2007, 02:55 AM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

I say screw the warranty. Modding your car is so much better.

Unless you just like sunday driving, which from what you siad about the WRX, you dont.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:44 PM
NonMiAnnoiare23

I want to mod but I have been debating back and forward, because I do drive the car hard sometimes and something is bound to break. Maybe I will just put in the 3:90's and short shifter and see how that goes lol
Old 03-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

i would check on the gears with your warranty provider. putting in a short shifter may void you transmission warranty, and the gears would void it on your rear end.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:59 PM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

its true that things breaking does happen, and its not cheap to fix... but....

if your going ot mod, thats the risk you run, and furthermore.. thats what owning a musclecar/ponycar is all about!!

just my two cents [8D]
Old 03-16-2007, 12:50 AM
NonMiAnnoiare23

I think it would be worth it too put in the gears since all it voids in the rear end, but I definately have to talk to a manager or someone who really knows about my warranty b/c if just putting in a short shifter voids the trans then it is not worth it. My Cobra only has 29 K on it so I think I am not going to mod anything that would void the engine or trans until the warranty is up.

Quick Reply: Mods with extended warranty