SVT Forums

Some input on an SN-95 Cobra from you SVT guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:49 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default Some input on an SN-95 Cobra from you SVT guys

Alright, here's the info. That bastard AllVenom03 took me for a ride in his damn car, and now I must upgrade mine. My 97 GT has certianly been a fun car, in fact it was my first manual transmission too. I've taken very good care of it so far and have constantly had plans for it, however I'm realizing that it's going to be a better idea to just get a Cobra. My car cost me $7000 with 77,000 miles on it, and to get it up to 300 HP (the right way, not spraying or something), I'd have to do the H/C/I swap which would end up costing me a good $3000 or so, and in the end I'd still have a 2v. By then I'd have spent around $10,000 which is about how much a SN-95 Cobra would cost and then I'd have a platform to actually start from.

I'm certainly not in a huge rush since I have a perfectly good car right now, but here's the only one that's even for sale around here: big autotrader link. It seems like a nice car, low mileage, I'd need to actually go take a look at it, but it has power everything and leather which would be a nice upgrade from my manual everything car. Now I know the price is way too high. It says he's added Flows and a CAI... about $500 worth of parts, certainly doesn't justify the price. The low mileage makes it worth a little more, but still not 13,500. I was thinking that $11,000 would be more than reasonable for that car, and only if it's in great shape, however I don't know as much about the Cobras and their value, that's what I want some input on from you guys. I sent him and email and will discuss it, who knows, maybe I can get him to drop quite a bit, otherwise I'll keep looking.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide me while looking into a first Cobra.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Some input on an SN-95 Cobra from you SVT guys

48,000 miles is pretty solid for 1998. Make sure you check out its value at KellyBlueBook and NADA. Keep in mind, I think NADA gives you the price you would expect to pay at a dealership....not a private seller. KBB has been criticized for undervaluing cars a bit as well. I sold my 1997 with 78,000 miles not too long ago for $8300. Assess the car when you go to look at against what the KBB, etc...values are regarding condition. It will betough for a seller to turn away an informed buyer, unless the seller's expectations are really unreasonable. Good luck with the hunt....96 - 98's are out there!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:17 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the input. I honestly like the look of the original SN-95s more than the New Edges, and I definitely like the price because I'd have more fun buying an older Cobra and building it up than buying something like a Terminator that's already got the supercharger and everything included. Part of the fun for me is working on the car. Is there anything to know about the 96-98 Cobras and their engines? What were the limits on the engine and what were the limiting factors? Let me see if I have this all right... the 98 had the Teksid Aluminum block which... basically the skys the limit on, however only the crank was forged, so that means the rest of the internals were definitely your weak link. So I'm guessing the limit would be around 450 RWHP with a good tune? I'm not as good with with the Cobra engines as I am with the GT engines, so correct me if I'm wrong anywhere, that's what I made this topic to ask about.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 PM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

Heres the thing with SN-95's..

Great block, but if your building up a NA motor you'd be better off with a camaro. If you plan to turbo/supercharge it, then you will be in the 10-11's range. (obviously depending on other mods as well). A single turbo kit responds GREAT with a sn-95. Youtube it, theres a few great videos.

As far as the engine your absolutely right about the aluminum block and its non-forged internals. When I bought y 97 I had to rebuild the entire engine bottom up, so I had the oppertunity to throw in some forged components. If you do that with the engine alone (not counting clutch, driveshaft, etc) you could probably hold 600 on the block, maybe more. The engine also responds great to a bore. I bored mine 20 over and got excellent performance results.

The biggest downside to these engines is the whole 4 cams thing (if you want to throw in decent cams your looking at 2500+ for a kit), and most if not all parts for a cobra engine are wayy overpriced. SOME parts are interchangable from base to cobra, but not very many mechanical ones, mostly cosmetic. On the bright side, say goodbye to push rods.

Theres alot of moving parts on the vin-v but if you maintain it properly you wont be disappointed.

If you plan to keep it NA for awhile, avoid alot o the common bolt ons (pulleys, TB, plenum, etc), as you will see minimal if any gain. Although a CAI responds well.

Hope that clears up some of your questions, if you want to know anything else feel free to ask. I'll answer the best I can.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:20 AM
bmxr152

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

Alright, here's the info. That bastard AllVenom03 took me for a ride in his damn car, and now I must upgrade mine. My 97 GT has certianly been a fun car, in fact it was my first manual transmission too. I've taken very good care of it so far and have constantly had plans for it, however I'm realizing that it's going to be a better idea to just get a Cobra. My car cost me $7000 with 77,000 miles on it, and to get it up to 300 HP (the right way, not spraying or something), I'd have to do the H/C/I swap which would end up costing me a good $3000 or so, and in the end I'd still have a 2v. By then I'd have spent around $10,000 which is about how much a SN-95 Cobra would cost and then I'd have a platform to actually start from.

I'm certainly not in a huge rush since I have a perfectly good car right now, but here's the only one that's even for sale around here: big autotrader link. It seems like a nice car, low mileage, I'd need to actually go take a look at it, but it has power everything and leather which would be a nice upgrade from my manual everything car. Now I know the price is way too high. It says he's added Flows and a CAI... about $500 worth of parts, certainly doesn't justify the price. The low mileage makes it worth a little more, but still not 13,500. I was thinking that $11,000 would be more than reasonable for that car, and only if it's in great shape, however I don't know as much about the Cobras and their value, that's what I want some input on from you guys. I sent him and email and will discuss it, who knows, maybe I can get him to drop quite a bit, otherwise I'll keep looking.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide me while looking into a first Cobra.
I just picked up a 1997 Cobra for 5100 last night. 110,000 miles and VERY VERY well taken car of!!! Mechanically a 9 of 10 but the paint was like a 5of 10 untili buffed it. Just keep looking. I love mine!
Old 05-13-2007, 10:59 AM
sgtspooner
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: italia10588

If you plan to keep it NA for awhile, avoid alot o the common bolt ons (pulleys, TB, plenum, etc), as you will see minimal if any gain. Although a CAI responds well.
so UDP's arent good at all? i was gonna get some. i was told that they they increase accel. i dont expect them to give me 20 hp though.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:50 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

the harmonics in the 4.6 dohc are very bad and udp sometimes lead to broken oil pump gears. the stock induction setup breaths so well that you shouldnt mess with it except for the exception of an intake spacer from PHP. LT headers and a good catback will yeild you the best results
Old 05-13-2007, 01:35 PM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

+1 to what David said.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:57 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

yeah 4v is what i know