SVT Forums

03-04 SVT Cobra questions from a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:02 AM
FlipDaScriptSVT

Default 03-04 SVT Cobra questions from a newbie

Hey guys whats up. I am possibly looking to get an 03-04 SVT Cobra. I am new here so when some of my questions sound stupid, please remember that lol

If I get one of these, it will be from a dealer. How are the dealerships as far as doing warranty work with mods? The car I get will most likely bea stock SVT though.(will certain mods void the warranty, or is anything allowed?)

How is the aftermarket for these cars? I heard there will not be any more SVTs made, so will there be parts available in the future?

Assuming the car is kept stock, how reliable are these for daily driving (including winter )

Any other newbie info you want to throw in here, feel free to

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:43 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 03-04 SVT Cobra questions from a newbie

The search button is your friend... or why not just look around?

The major thing with these cars is heat. There is a wonderful aftermarket for these cars. See my signature? I am considered a lightly modded Cobra. Any Cobra you buy, if it's modified look for the head cooling mod, and a heat exchanger. The head cooling mod is probably one of the single most important modification on a modded Cobra because it stops the coolant for pooling up in the #7/8 heads causing them to pop due to heat.

Like I said, look around at some of the other posts, and you will see it.

Look around here too: http://www.stangshiftergaskets.com/2...m#_Toc35092330
Old 05-29-2007, 11:45 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Also... mods... Basically most any mod will void the warranty on these cars.. the bright side, is that most or all of them don't have one anymore, so you don't need to worry about it much - unless u get the extended warranty on it. Good luck buying a stock Cobra, they are few and far between. The nice thing about the Fords.. are that since they're modular motors, and we basically share motors with other cars, there will always be parts if we really need them.

ORIGINAL: FlipDaScriptSVT

Hey guys whats up. I am possibly looking to get an 03-04 SVT Cobra. I am new here so when some of my questions sound stupid, please remember that lol

If I get one of these, it will be from a dealer. How are the dealerships as far as doing warranty work with mods? The car I get will most likely bea stock SVT though.(will certain mods void the warranty, or is anything allowed?)

How is the aftermarket for these cars? I heard there will not be any more SVTs made, so will there be parts available in the future?

Assuming the car is kept stock, how reliable are these for daily driving (including winter )

Any other newbie info you want to throw in here, feel free to

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:43 AM
bigal1067

I have an 04 DSG Mach1 but always wanted a Cobra, especially and 03'-04'
I found a white convertible 03' Cobra with 35,000miles going for $27,900. It list some mild mods, intake and pulley but nothing crazy.

Does that sound like a deal? It seems low for a convertible.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

thas kinda high for those miles, but it all depends on what they go for in your area i guess.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:31 AM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

I wouldnt drive any cobra in winter.

1 you'll destroy your body

2 you'll slide everywhere.

Just buy a $150 winterbeater from the paper or something, every winter. Thats what I do.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:33 AM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

ya i would neber drive my cobra in the winter, too risky. i wouldn;t want to risk wrecking it.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:07 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

Also... mods... Basically most any mod will void the warranty on these cars.. the bright side, is that most or all of them don't have one anymore, so you don't need to worry about it much - unless u get the extended warranty on it. Good luck buying a stock Cobra, they are few and far between. The nice thing about the Fords.. are that since they're modular motors, and we basically share motors with other cars, there will always be parts if we really need them.
Not totally accurate. I can't say I've ever heard of an entire warranty voided from any mod and I soldFords for 5 years. I have heard of obvious pulley tampering (scratches) responsible for denied warranty claims. Usually the dealer will insinuate the mod caused the failure, which may or may not be true. So many things can happen here.

Forexample:

You strap on a pulley and have a TOTALLY UNRELATED part failure, like say, your water pump. The dealer usually will blame it on the first thing they see that isn't stock (service writers usually don't know ****), and not only refuse to fix it, but flag your car in Ford's database making future warranty claims really are hard to get done. Those familiar with mods are usually much more understanding. This leaves you with arguing with Ford and losing.

The best things you can do are:

1. If you have a part failure, call a stealership somewhere else that will never see the car and ask them a "hypothetical" question about your problem.

2. Remove as much evidence as possible that the car's been modified.

3. Build a relationship with a service writer that's familiar and understanding with modded Cobras.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:01 AM
BTRStang
2nd Gear Member

I hate stealerships[:@]They tried pulling the voided warranty issue with meon my04 GT when I changed my springs (Eibach Pro Kit). The problem I had was the rack pinion was making a ticking noise when I turned the wheels ata stop. I brought the car in before it was lowered but didn`t have time to drop it off. We setup anew date to do the repairs and I let the service writer know what I was doing to the car (lowering it, not the smartest thing to do before bringing itto the dealership), however that guy was sick, vacation,etc.. the day I brought it in and adifferent service writer woudn`t honor the work.To put the icing on the cake is that Ford had a recall on the problem that I was having!! So I took the car down to another Ford dealership and the service writer there was like if there is no major mods thatthey would honor all the stock partson the car. The moral of the story is some dealer ships are cool and some ain`t. My best advice is if you know some other stang guys from local clubs see who they know and what dealerships are cool, but you won`t have that problem unless you get a low mile 04 or a extended warranty on a 03-04. Good luck Cobra hunting!! Let us know how it goes
Old 06-05-2007, 01:41 PM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

In my opinion.. and not all of you will share this opinion with me but..

who gives a sh it about warranties? Its a muscle car. Its meant to be taken apart and heavily modded. Thats how they've always been ever since our parents were kids.

just my 2 cents. Not everyone will agree. I'm not looking to start an argument with anyone, just saying.

Quick Reply: 03-04 SVT Cobra questions from a newbie