SVT Forums

Keep Moded GT or Buy Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:07 PM
nick105

Default Keep Moded GT or Buy Cobra?

My friend has a 2000 Mustang GT M5 convertable. He has full exhaust including chrome Bassani mid length headers, no cats, aftermarket intake, aftermarket throttle body and plenum.Do you think it would be a better deal to turbo, supercharge, or spray his GT or just buy a Cobra?What year Cobra do you think would be best?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:26 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Keep Moded GT or Buy Cobra?

2003 ftw!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

well if you are going to go big you might as well just buy an 03-04 cobra and save yourself alot of headache.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:52 AM
cencalmatt
1st Gear Member

+1 to what "blownsvt" said. To me, there isabsolutely no point in going big on a 2V GT when you could get a stock 03/04 cobra.

1. A terminator (03/04 cobra) would probably be close to the GT in power even with all that done to it, with a simple pully swap.
2. The cobra can handle much more power than a GT without the worry of cracking the block.
3. FORGED INTERNALS on the cobra, if you have to do that on the GT you're looking at alot of work considering everything.
4. Cobras look better imo
5. You will be cooler if you own a cobra
6. Cobras hold their value like crazy, GT's depreciate pretty fast. (no offense intended at all)
And many more reasons I'm sick of typing now......
Put it this way, I'm looking at either a termi or a Z06 if the price is right
Old 07-25-2007, 07:50 AM
nick105

ORIGINAL: cencalmatt

1. A terminator (03/04 cobra) would probably be close to the GT in power even with all that done to it, with a simple pully swap.
I would think the Cobra would still have a lotmore power than his GT, even with his mods. That was the main thing I was wondering about though, whether it would be worth the effort and money to build up his GT. I didn't know that the Cobra had all forged internals.
I guess I should mention he just trying to get to about 500hp and he most likely won't want nitrous.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:03 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cencalmatt

+1 to what "blownsvt" said. To me, there isabsolutely no point in going big on a 2V GT when you could get a stock 03/04 cobra.

2. The cobra can handle much more power than a GT without the worry of cracking the block.
3. FORGED INTERNALS on the cobra, if you have to do that on the GT you're looking at alot of work considering everything.
4. Cobras look better imo
5. You will be cooler if you own a cobra
6. Cobras hold their value like crazy, GT's depreciate pretty fast. (no offense intended at all)
And many more reasons I'm sick of typing now......
Put it this way, I'm looking at either a termi or a Z06 if the price is right
Said pretty well. The looks part is judgemental of course, and I cant help to be biased there myself. If all you care about is building up the GT and staying under 450 rwhp, it maybe cheaper to just supercharge the GT along with adding the supporting mods for that kind of power. If you went that route, just make sure your tune is really good.

The downside of that is its still a GT. Alot of guys love having that sleeper look. I had an 04 GT last year and really thought about building it up. After some thought... I just didnt think I would be satisfied unless I saved up for a cobra. So thats what I did. I'm very happy with my decision. The terminator blocks can hold up to 700rwhp pretty well. Eventually I plan to throw a whipple on mine have it tuned to be very close to 600rwhp. Still a very streetable and lots of fun to drive.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Depends on what you want... If you want a cobra so that you can tell people you have a cobra, get a 96-01 cobra, If you want a car that can push more then 450 rwhp safely then get a terminator. If you can be happy with 400rwhp then supercharge the GT or put a 100 or 125 shot on your GT.

Terminators are not cheap in any way, and once you go from a GT to a cobra your usually in a hole from bigger car payments and insurance payments... and its more expensive to mod because after you do anything that has to do with exhaust or intake... or boost, you have to get a dyno tune... just letting you know ahead of schedule, and that much power is no joke... 350rwhp is no joke... im sure you know that.

Either way you or he will have a badass mustang whatever you twodecide.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
BTRStang
2nd Gear Member

Get a 03-04 Cobra enough said!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:00 PM
93Octane

The initial money is well worth it for the cobra. FI is the way to go trust me. Besides i can walk bolt on gts but get destroyed by termis