SVT Forums

About to buy a cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:47 AM
NoRdO
2nd Gear Member

Default About to buy a cobra

Well, there is this cobra in my area that I've been looking at for the past couple of days. It's a 99' red coupe with a tan interior. The car has about 61000 miles on it. The guy let me test drive it(and i'm 17 and he wasn't in the car) and I have to say these things are pretty quick, espesialy compared to what I normally drive everyday. I was going to have it looked at by a real mechanic so I could figure out if it was in good shape. I was going to have a dry and wet compression test done and also get the car state inspected. Is there anything else to look out for when buying a 99' cobra? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:46 AM
ZAXJAX
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: About to buy a cobra

It's just like any other car, just have it looked at and inspected.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

ask about "the fix"... may want to jot down the VIN and bring it to Ford, they should have it in their cpu's whether or not it was brought it...

The fix - the 99 Cobras had a recall due to insufficient power, they were overrated. So ford replaced somethings to get them to the advertised bhp rating.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:29 PM
NoRdO
2nd Gear Member

I've got the vin and know about the fix. If it wasn't "fixed" will ford still fix it. I also did a carfax http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailRepor...qzR9bDgDaCTSi3
Old 08-06-2007, 06:47 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

not sure - im sure they would.. I don't think recalls have time limits on them, but im not sure...

Watch the carfax, I just learned today (i have a clean carfax) that my car was in a front and rear collision, and also had its back window busted in with a bat. I had a guy follow me home, and said that this was his car before he traded it in, lol... but he also said he had a ton of parts that weren't on this car, and i find it hard to believe that Ford would've swapped the blower on it... pending if they even knew that it was ported...
Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 PM
NoRdO
2nd Gear Member

I called the guy today and asked him fif i could take the car to get it checked out by a mechanic and he firmly said no, so I won't be buying his cobra. I'm currently looking at one at a ford dealership.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:08 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

hmm I wonder what he's hiding.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:29 PM
bugpack28
2nd Gear Member

what a lame-o...
Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 AM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

wow he won't let you take it too a mechanic??? Thats a bunch of bull. I guess he never wants to sell it, because most self respecting person will wanna have it checked out.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM
NoRdO
2nd Gear Member

I'm probably going to get one at a ford dealership tomorrow. This car is clean and runs real strong. It's got about 92k miles on it with only 30k on the engine with the documents to prove it. The car is in excelent condition and has many mods. The dealer advertised it for $11,100 and when I went in they showed me the car and checked a couple of things. Get this they then told me they misadvertised it and said that they had to honor the price of the add but they told me I had 24 hours to decide or else the price would go up to $15,000. They didnt tell me the brands of the mods but heres what they said and what I noticed: Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust, short throw shifter, the car had been lowered, different rims, cai, dressed engine. I'm sure that there are more mods but I was un able to check. I took some pictures and I will try to post them later. The interior is tan and in great condition. This cobra was way better than the first one I looked at.

Quick Reply: About to buy a cobra