SVT Forums

Info from guys with BIG MEATS!

Old 08-11-2007, 06:25 PM
hockey24

Default RE: Info from guys with BIG MEATS!

2003 Cobra. 640 rwhp. Rims are 18 x 11. Don't really like to race it much since I just got it and am still learning to drive it. I know street tires are going to give up grip over the drag radials but I am guessing some street tires are better than others.

By the way - love the 'Arguing with you' comment at the end of your posts. I just read that and almost fell out of my chair.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:58 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

With your car, I would get atleast nittos... your going to burn them up too... but the problem with regular street tires... you can have the best street tire made that's a non d/r... and as soon as you slam it you will burn 3k off of them at a time, and you won't get anymore milage on it then a set of nittos/bf's or mickeys...

Is yours daily driven?? If it is.. I would get another set of Nittos, maybe even Bf's d/r... if it'snot and you can drive another car when it rains,definatly mickeys.... The issue is, is that with BF's or Mickeys you have 0% traction in the rain... atleast nittos give you some traction in the rain for a DD tire. With a street tire, even a rain tire you won't get any traction whatsoever because of the power level...
Old 08-12-2007, 09:21 PM
hockey24

I took the car for a little spin this weekend and pushed it. It spins the Nittos, that now look like true drag slicks, in 2nd and 3rd. I am going to hate to see what it does when I get the ***** to turn the nitrous on.

Having said this and since the car is not may daily driver, I am going to take your advice. I think I'll go ahead and put a fresh set of Nitto 555Rs on. I'll save about $300 in the process. 335/30/18 street tires are expensive!

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 PM
spray175
3rd Gear Member

So what do you have done to make 640rwhp?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:31 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

from the sound of it... I would say ported blower + nitrous.. unless his 640rwhp is before nitrous....

Is it, or is it not your daily driver? If it isn't like you said - I would get something like BF's or mickeys... if your stock IRS I would get bf's... Only if your a DD I would get nittos...
Old 08-12-2007, 10:00 PM
hockey24

It is not my daily driver. I do want somehting that is supposed to have wet condition handling ability like the Nitto when it actually has tread.

The 640 is without nitrous. My dad did had all of the work done when he owned the car. I am just the recipient of a great car built by a guy going through his 7th or 8th mid life crisis. Hell, he can't even tell me what shot the nitrous is. I guess I will look through all of the paperwork he gave me to see if it is in there. Here is a list of all of the things I can remember:

Whipple Twin screw - 15lbs of boost
60lb injectors
Ceramic coated headers
Bassani exhaust
Ford GT fuel pumps
Cold air intake with new mass airflow sensor
Level 5 half shafts
3.73 gears
Spec 3 drag clutch
Frame connectors that also connect to rocker panels
Coil overs (not sure what brand)
Old 08-12-2007, 10:04 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Honestly, if it's not your DD... I would go with atleast the BF's... they are drivable in the rain, but not as good as the nittos - but better then mickeys.. and you will get dry traction... you are probably smoking the nittos with tread or not... 640rwhp is very high for a whipple with only 15psi, there's got to be more, or your figure might be a bit off... dunno what else is all done though obviously..
Old 08-12-2007, 10:10 PM
hockey24

640 is a hard figure to swallow and I didn't believe it when hetold me but I have actually seen the dyno sheet. I am sure there is more I just need to sit down with him and go through everything that has been done. I know he did not do anything to the heads and he did not change the intake. I think when he had it for a year or so he changed the computer.

What model BF's are you suggesting?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:11 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

the bf's d/r... at this power level... you'd be smoking crack if you thought you could go with anything less and still go more then 10 ft, lol
Old 08-12-2007, 10:14 PM
hockey24

Got it. You convinced me to stick with the DRs. Thanks for your help. When I find out everything that has been done to the car I will let you know. The last figure he gave me on his mod price was $20K, but that includes the primo sound system and suspension upgrades. All I know is, it sure is a blast to drive!!!