SVT Forums

New cobra owner!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

Default New cobra owner!

Finally I'm here to say that I have bought the car from my dad's friend. It's been a long enough wait selling my car but it was worth it. So the car is a 1998 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT, black coupe, saddle leather, added sunroof (non-power) 70k miles bought for $9k. I actually just removed the air silencer and could tell a bit overall better sound (opinions on this?). I have some stuff planned out for the car nothing major at all. I will have pics soon.[/align][/align]I already ordered: (yes I know I just bought it the day of ordering)[/align]Cobra Saddle Floor Mats[/align]Cobra Emblem Grille (gotta make it official)[/align]Cobra Stainless Steel Rear Bumper Inserts[/align][/align]More things to be done:[/align]Clean headlights[/align]JLT Performance SRI[/align]Synthetic Fluids[/align]
Old 10-04-2007, 02:03 PM
tcchubb
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New cobra svt owner!

congrats on the car man. hope you love it as much as i love mine.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

They're pretty fun cars. I don't like how the bulk of their power comes from 4k+ rpms
Old 10-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang9946

They're pretty fun cars. I don't like how the bulk of their power comes from 4k+ rpms
Agreed. Thats how my 99 is.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:16 PM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm actually used to the high rpm power since I'm coming from a mazda6 that had variable valve timing torque's peak was at 5,000rpm and hp's peak was redline (6300). This car is just beautiful I've gotten 2 comments from other drivers on the road after owning it just one day.

Hey stang9946 hows the borla exhaust compared to other brands like flowmaster, loudmouth, magnaflow, bassanni etc? Just curious because sometime I would like to get an exhaust on it, get that cobra's V8 to really sound good.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StylinM6s

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm actually used to the high rpm power since I'm coming from a mazda6 that had variable valve timing torque's peak was at 5,000rpm and hp's peak was redline (6300). This car is just beautiful I've gotten 2 comments from other drivers on the road after owning it just one day.

Hey stang9946 hows the borla exhaust compared to other brands like flowmaster, loudmouth, magnaflow, bassanni etc? Just curious because sometime I would like to get an exhaust on it, get that cobra's V8 to really sound good.
Well I can't really compare for 2 reasons: 1 being I haven't heard any of those others in person, (except SLP) 2: it came on the car when I bought it. However the stock h-pipe was still on the car with it. The catback alone made the car quite a bit louder than stock. (i've heard stock before) and the mac h-pipe (I put on) made it even louder and more throaty. Honestly Borla is over priced. If it had not come on the car already I would have put an SLP on it. If you want loud go for an SLP LM1 with an SLP X-pipe as well. If you want loud (but not quite as loud as the LM1) and more throaty and mean sounding, go for an SLP LM 2 catback with an h-pipe. X-pipes will make it sound more "raspy". Any other questions just ask. I'll try and help. Btw, I had an 07 Mazda6 auto for a rental for a week or so. Thing was pathetic. Couldn't even get out of it's own way. It's got what, something like 158hp? I raced this girl in an 07ish Civic. She pulled on me from the light cuz I didn't know if she wanted to go or not and I floored it. I walked by her pretty easily. It was a sad sad "kill". I bounced her off rev limiter shifting in to 2nd, 3rd and 4th (90mph). Never did 5th. Not enough road! LOL
Old 10-04-2007, 05:00 PM
mfj
Banned

congratulations on ur purchase... i bet its sweet!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:16 PM
StylinM6s
2nd Gear Member

Oh ok thanks stang9946. I would want to go with something aggresive, mean sounding and a bit louder. Was the rental a 4 cyl or 6? Sounds like you got the 4 cyl to me but whatever. I'm actually getting the car checked by my local,honest mechanic. I would have a real hard time getting it in reverse. It's a pain in the *** to either make it go in it's slot or find it I'm not sure. So far I have not been able to get it on my first try, I'd have to go to neutral and start again. After 2 or 3 tries backing out I finally got it in reverse but while reversing the shifter popped in neutral. I might not have forced it hard enough into reverse I might have been lazy or somethin at the time. Point is it's just a minor issue getting in reverse gear and I want it checked out. Anyone have any problem similar to this? I'm was thinking to go synthetic tranny fluid soon anyway maybe more lub could help as well as protection?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:17 AM
Ellik
2nd Gear Member

Anything is going to be better than a Flowmaster. Borla is a very nice exhaust.... but expensive, same with Bassani. I love my Bassani setup. Magnaflow is a nice sounding, free-flowing exhaust priced decently. SPP is in a category of its own - REDICULOUSLY LOUD. Which is what some people are going for.

Let us know whats up with the tranny. Doesnt sound good.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:56 AM
tcchubb
1st Gear Member

hey i had a promblem like that with my 01 cobra not wanting to go into gear. it started with reverse and then it started in all the gears. turns out my clucth was gone. all of this happened 5 days after i bought it. the ford place said they had replaced it but when i took it back they said o well we only adjusted it all the way. i hope yours is not a clucth but that is what mine turned out to be. good luck with it

Quick Reply: New cobra owner!