SVT Forums

01 Cobra with V-2E and smoking??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:16 AM
hus
1st Gear Member

Default 01 Cobra with V-2E and smoking??

I just purchased a 2001 Cobra with a Vortech V-2E, 42lb injectors and full exhaust last Friday, 10/19/07. I have NOTgotten on it too hard yet because I wanted to do all the routine maintenance such as change the oil and oil filter and so on. So I finally had some time today to change the oil. And man it looks like the previous owner hasn't changed it in several thousand miles because it was good thick and black. So I changed the oil and oil filter and the thing is blowing out white/gray smokeout both exhaust pipes whileat idle, and if I punch the gas it really lets loose with the smoke.And no I didn't over fill it. While I'm driving I can only notice the smoke when I push in the clutch to begin braking fora stop, then while at idleand then after I take off from the stopit blows smoke pretty good thru first and second gears. It's not like a trail of thick white smoke from an old 70s model beater but it's enough of a thin layer smoke trail to **** me off. Isthis something that will eventually stop or do I have serious issues? I was told it could having something to do the V-2E.

By the way, without getting into an oil debate, I used Mobil 1 5w-20 and a Mobil 1 Filter as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:32 AM
mfj
Banned

Default RE: 01 Cobra with V-2E and smoking??

sounds pretty serious to me. u need to find out where ur loosing oil from. the first places i would check it the pcv line, the fresh air return line. see if u find oil in ur intake tubing or in ur throttle body.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:53 AM
redbullitt
2nd Gear Member

did it smoke before the oil change? what kinda boost you running? PCV might need replaced, but really that much smoke sounds like it could be an issue.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:55 PM
hus
1st Gear Member

Well, I removed the inlet pipe to view the blades on the Supercharger and they are pretty much covered in oil. I'm assuming my charger has a blown seal or something? Anyone know how much that cost to fix?
Old 10-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Oil doesn't burn white. It burns blue.

White sounds more like water.

I would isolate the supercharger and see if she still smokes.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:22 PM
hus
1st Gear Member

It's burning white with the supercharger intact and gray if I isolate the supercharger and just let it run off the intake. There is also big goobs a black gooey stuff that smells like gas sitting inside the tips of my SLP exhaust.

Also I changed the plugs and the third one back on the driver's side was soaked in the same thick black goo that is in my exhaust.

Just out of curiosity, I added Lucas to it when I changed my oil and that's when it started smoking. Was that a good idea or bad ideawith a supercharger?

I just don't get it...the car isn't missing or driving rough and I haven't driven it hard at all,and itdidn't smoke when Itest drove it or the first 5 days I had it, and now that I changed the oil and added the Lucas it's smoking like crazy.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:54 PM
mfj
Banned

honestly sounds like ur engine is damaged...
Old 10-29-2007, 07:15 PM
hus
1st Gear Member

Pulled the number 3 plug and it's covered in oil and sut. Looks like it's been spray painted black.

How much does a rebuild usually run?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 PM
mfj
Banned

what u need to do first is go to any shop and have them do a compression test on ur engine... do that and let us know the results. the test is fairly cheap. if ur good on compression on all cylinders, then its not too serious...
Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM
hus
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I'll do that.

Quick Reply: 01 Cobra with V-2E and smoking??