SVT Forums

teksid block or new block?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Fobra
Banned

Default RE: teksid block or new block?

ORIGINAL: mfj

the cast iron cobra blocks are only like 400 bux, so i dont see what the big deal is?? if someone is building ur engine, even if ur using ur own block, it will still cost thousands... the cast iron blocks ive seen hold over 1000 hp
weight and heat dissapation... however most people dont realize that teksid gets its strength from being heat cycled and everytime you expose it to high heat it gets weaker... the iron blocks can be bored, a +. The teksids are little lighter, but aluminuim can be repaired, iron cant... there are trade offs on both sides... but reall the iron block is fine, it hold almost as much as the teksid for a real world app, unless your planing on running 1500 hp or something... btw ford switched to an iron block for a s/c
Old 11-21-2007, 02:25 PM
1fstmach
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: USMCrebel

how can you tell which block is which
They should be stamped or when the intake is off the "valley" is different

Mark VIII 's have teksid blocks also, a lot of people pick them up to use
Old 11-23-2007, 12:40 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: darcnytemare

yea im hoping i can use my stock block cause im doing a DIY turbo kit and i dont want to spend like 5g's for a built motor when i dont need it too much. this car will be a dd too.
Ohhh no, you'll be way into that amount if someone else is building it for your! Guaranteed. The only thing you can use on your engine is the possible Teskid block and the forged crank. You'll need some heavy mods to pick up the rest of the slack. I would honestly like to see you stick with your aluminum block if it is in fact a Teskid for the Turbo kit because of the heat that will be produced. You will need roughyl $2g's of headwork done to allow proper airflow and heat dissapation to ensure you don't burn a valve. I would reccomend having your oil galleys worked on for improved oil flow. A good set of blower cams or custom cams will run you $1100-1500. A nice set of headgaskets will run you a few hundred as well. I beams will cost $600+. I would go with ALL ARP studs becuase you'll need the strength and I promise you the motor will be torn apart agian in the near future. The ARP's are multiple use studs for everywhere. Forged pistons=several hundred bucks... Eitherway you go, your gonna be upwards of $5g's befor the turbo addition.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:59 AM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

yea im just trying to lower the compression....but if i can get a block im just gonna have that bored out. i know thats gonna be a pretty penny but im not really worried about building it because my friend works for ford and hes put together nuuuuuumerous amounts of motors for his cars. im not worried about the piping. already have a place that'll do it. my main thing right now is not even putting the car together....its making sure my block doesnt explode. I really didnt wanna spend thousands of dollars buying just the block. im not planning on churning out 1000+hp. but i want to know that im not gonna have catastrophic failure at a mere 500hp.