SVT Forums

02 Saleen S-281 or 03 Ford Lightning???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:07 AM
redhot06
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 02 Saleen S-281 or 03 Ford Lightning???

SALEEN!!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
CWP1979

Your mom is bada*s!!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:33 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Lightening ftw
Old 01-22-2008, 04:18 PM
03_svt_cobra_22
2nd Gear Member

women= saleen/ badass = lightning
Old 01-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Saleen hands down
Old 01-22-2008, 06:24 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

One thing you're missing though also is the L has a TON of more torque then the Saleen.

But, for what it's worth - I would rather have a SVT product then a GT that was bought and modified by Saleen. I'd rather have something born and built directly by Ford... but that's me. To each their own; either way, he ends up a winner.

ORIGINAL: eviligloo

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Think of it this way... horsepower numbers are around the same.. both craps 2v's... but the lightning is a 5.4 at least... it's also a bit heavier. The lightnings transmission will hold a bit better vs the crap TR 3650

I might be the lone guy saying it, but i'd take the Lightning... It's a bit slower.. but you really can't modify the Saleen - it's close to being maxed out as it is... Besides, it is always handy to ahve the truck... and it's SVT powered by Ford, not an aftermarket kit on a bare bones GT...
I respect the opinion, but I have to disagree with this one on a couple counts:

Horsepower is about the same, 365 for saleen and 380 for lightning, but the weight difference is huge. 4650 for the lightning and 3650 formy Saleen convertible. 1,000 lbs right there. Add that to the fact that mine is a convertible and I have a lot of heavy stereo equipment in the back and we're talking a weight savings of around 1500lbs.

The 2002 saleen can still be modified. You can throw on a smaller pulley, tune it, and throw in a chicane intercooler to boost your rwhp up by about 70-80. At that point you'll be pushing around 380rwhp. You can also forge the internals and throw on adifferent supercharger (series II roots supercharger is on the saleen.....it's not bad, but can't compete with some of the newer S/C's out there). Will the saleen compete with a modified terminator cobra? no. Will it dust a lightning? Absolutely.

Unless you need the hauling capacity of a pickup....I'd go with the saleen.

The shop I get my car tuned at does mustangs and lightnings exclusively.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Saleen326
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eviligloo

Think of it this way... horsepower numbers are around the same.. both craps 2v's... but the lightning is a 5.4 at least... it's also a bit heavier. The lightnings transmission will hold a bit better vs the crap TR 3650

I might be the lone guy saying it, but i'd take the Lightning... It's a bit slower.. but you really can't modify the Saleen - it's close to being maxed out as it is... Besides, it is always handy to ahve the truck... and it's SVT powered by Ford, not an aftermarket kit on a bare bones GT...
I respect the opinion, but I have to disagree with this one on a couple counts:

Horsepower is about the same, 365 for saleen and 380 for lightning, but the weight difference is huge. 4650 for the lightning and 3650 for my Saleen convertible. 1,000 lbs right there. Add that to the fact that mine is a convertible and I have a lot of heavy stereo equipment in the back and we're talking a weight savings of around 1500lbs.

The 2002 saleen can still be modified. You can throw on a smaller pulley, tune it, and throw in a chicane intercooler to boost your rwhp up by about 70-80. At that point you'll be pushing around 380rwhp. You can also forge the internals and throw on a different supercharger (series II roots supercharger is on the saleen.....it's not bad, but can't compete with some of the newer S/C's out there). Will the saleen compete with a modified terminator cobra? no. Will it dust a lightning? Absolutely.

Unless you need the hauling capacity of a pickup....I'd go with the saleen.

The shop I get my car tuned at does mustangs and lightnings exclusively.

Trust Evil, he knows his stuff. His SC vert put down 341rwhp (about 400 hp to the flywheel) with 371 ft/lbs of torque. Those are better numbers than the lightning. I'd personally go with the Saleen. Overall in the end it will be worth more than the lightning because it is a rarer vehicle. As far as the torque commet is concerned the Saleen has 400 ft/lbs vs. 450 for the lightning. Not too much of difference with a 1500 weight advantage for the Saleen. You'll feel more power in the Saleen and will definitely smoke a lightning. If you understand the rarity of the Saleens, you know they fetch more dollars than a lighting. Blue blook on the 03 lightning is around 20k, whereas the 02 Saleen is about 30k for average retail. If you can pick the Saleen up for 20k or less that would be your best deal.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

The stock torque is one thing.. put a smaller pulley and port the eaton and the lightning torque is ridiculous...

Just because a car is more rare then another doesn't make it worth more. The reason in the end SVT or Shelby vehicles will be worth more then most any Saleen/Roush/Steeda is because it's built by Ford. All those Dodge's, Shelby's, Camaros and GTO's that are out there, they're worth more to collectors because they're built by the company.

For example look at any Cobra 'R' model. My moms boyfriends 2004 440A Roush (which they only made 40 of) isn't worth half of what a 2002 Cobra 'R' is worth (300 made). Same thing with the '93 Cobra 'R' and the 95'. You also see the 93' Cobra (the first year of SVT) is still getting top dollar. Heck, you can pick up a Saleen pretty cheap nowadays (the new edge body styles)... There are some Saleen/Steeda/Roush collectors, but the ones that will get top dollar are the "Built by Ford" special edition cars: Mach 1, SVT, and Shelby... you'll see. Just look at recent history.

But I don't want this to turn into a SVT vs Saleen battle - they're both great cars in their own right - I wish I had to make a decision as tough as this, hahah.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:15 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CWP1979

Your mom is bada*s!!
HAHAHAH +100,000

And i would deff take the truck. That thing is fuking baller.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Saleen326
2nd Gear Member

The stock torque is one thing.. put a smaller pulley and port the eaton and the lightning torque is ridiculous...

Just because a car is more rare then another doesn't make it worth more. The reason in the end SVT or Shelby vehicles will be worth more then most any Saleen/Roush/Steeda is because it's built by Ford. All those Dodge's, Shelby's, Camaros and GTO's that are out there, they're worth more to collectors because they're built by the company.

For example look at any Cobra 'R' model. My moms boyfriends 2004 440A Roush (which they only made 40 of) isn't worth half of what a 2002 Cobra 'R' is worth (300 made). Same thing with the '93 Cobra 'R' and the 95'. You also see the 93' Cobra (the first year of SVT) is still getting top dollar. Heck, you can pick up a Saleen pretty cheap nowadays (the new edge body styles)... There are some Saleen/Steeda/Roush collectors, but the ones that will get top dollar are the "Built by Ford" special edition cars: Mach 1, SVT, and Shelby... you'll see. Just look at recent history.

But I don't want this to turn into a SVT vs Saleen battle - they're both great cars in their own right - I wish I had to make a decision as tough as this, hahah.
I guess it all depends on who is buying the vehicle. IF it its someone who wants a Saleen they will pay more money for it than just a a regular mustang. Grant it, the SVT's are produced in limited numbers as well, but not like the Saleens. My car for example is one of only 193 coupes for 1996. With the options it has, it breaks down to a 1 of 10. Thats pretty rare. As for Saleens not being built by the company (Ford), they are. Ford ships brand new mustangs to the Saleen manufacturing plant for Saleen to modify and then serialize. Same thing as Roush. These are reputable companies that have been in business for a long time. Saleen has been doing this for over 20 years. And if you haven't noticed, they only SVT that in getting top dollar is the 2003-04 terminator that most people will buy and then the 93 Cobra R. Also, just a heads up, they didn't make a 2002 Cobra R is was made in 2000. As with the earlier version in 95 (limited to 150, all white), these cars are pure race cars and not street legal. The only one street legal would be the 93 Cobra R. If haven't noticed you can pick up a 2003 Mach 1 for around 17k, which is fairly inexpensive. As far as the BUILT BY FORD special editions, Shelby is not one of them. They do the same thing that Saleen does. All of them are manufactured in their Las Vegas plant and then sold by registered Shelby dealers, just like Saleen, Roush, and Steeda. The only comment that makes sense is: I wish I had to make a decision as tough as this, I fully agree with that. Maybe he should just forget about deciding which one to buy and go for both. Best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: 02 Saleen S-281 or 03 Ford Lightning???