SVT Forums

My New 03 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:53 PM
kbrebel04

Default My New 03 Cobra

So After a long amount og asking around and searchin in these forums I came down to the decision of:

1. Keep my 98 Cobra with 112000 Miles and work on it
2. Go from a 4v to 2v and get a 2001 GT Bullitt...that went south quick
3. Save and buy a clean 03-04 Cobra.

I went with option #3, A bone stock 03 Cobra with 19000 Miles on it.

Now I have a few questions, I plan on working on this car a lot, but before I do I want to be sure I am not going to harm or degrade the engine with modifications without support.

So, a list of mods that I will be bringing to my car:

Tune(what do you suggest for Street?)
Bassani Xpipe and Catback
JLT CAI(or else?)
Pulleys(what X.XX?)
Gears
Lowering Springs(yes? no?)
Shifter
Clutch(?)
And eventually a SC exchange, still deciding between whipple and KB.

Now what do I need to do to ensure none of these will put a beating on my engine? Cooling Mods etc.

I was also wondering How does a intercooler work? This is one thing I know nothing about and im too dense to understand this internet descriptions im finding on them, and is it nessisary?

Thanks again for all of the help, lead me into a amazing car thats ready for me to put some time into
Old 03-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My New 03 Cobra

as far as your mod list is concerned i think you are on the right track, i would suggest a 2.76 or 2.81 blower pulley with set of billet flow idlers. i would also reccomend that you get a dyno tune at a reputable shop in your area. i did not have lowering springs on mine before the turbo but i know alot of guys do.

in terms of cooling mods i would look into a ldc head cooling mod, a heat exchanger and an lfp supercooler resivior.

the intercooler on the cobra is actually located on the underside of the blower itself. there is a cac unit bolted on the bottom of the blower that is constanly cycling fluid through it to cool the blower. the fluid cycles through thefront mount heat exchangher to be cooled off a little more by air before circulating into the blower. it works in a continuous circle.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:04 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

First off read this: http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm

CobraBob's website has a lot of good information.

First off the cooling mods you should invest in: Tstat, Radiator, Head cooling mod, Heat Exchanger, and expansion tank for exchanger...

Tune(what do you suggest for Street?)
Bassani Xpipe and Catback - preference.. I personally always liked hpipe sounds more.
JLT CAI(or else?) --- wouldn't really waste money on an expensive CAI - find a cheap one... you'll lose 2-3rwhp at the most. I bought a used steeda for 55 bucks shipped.
Pulleys(what X.XX?) - depends... Most have a 2.76, 2.81, or 2.93... I would stick with a 2.81 over a 2.76 because the boost gain is minimal but belt slip occurs more frequent at 2.76 vbs 2.81. 2.93 if you want to have a lower pulley also - 2.93 + 4# lower = good power.
Gears - 3.55 gears stock - most tuners will say it's a waste of money - especially if your porting, swapping your blower or putting nitrous on.
Lowering Springs(yes? no?) - the car is low itself already - that's your preference.
Shifter mgw... hands down. YOu also might want a shifter quadrant and cable to go with it.
Clutch(?) you'll want to get a 26 spline. Most people use Centerforce, or spec.. I loved my Spec 3 and fidanza flywheel (a bit of clutch chatter though)
And eventually a SC exchange, still deciding between whipple and KB. - I like KB unless you're building your motor and get that big whipple.. might also want to look into blower porting.. you can get 50rwhp just on a blower port... run 500-550rwhp just with bolt ons and blower porting.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:05 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Also, congrats on your Cobra!! Drive it well and safe.

One other thing - if you're going to be adding power, I do recommend upgrading your IRS... Definatly get a IRS brace.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:35 PM
kbrebel04

Blownsvt, thanks a bunch for the advice you have pretty much guided me since i signed up here, when I didn't even know what a pulley or CAI was..its much appreciated. And I now understand what a Intercooler is lol

xxkazp3rxx, very detailed on the response answered a lot of questions. I also had another question concerning a new Clutch, what will be the difference fromt he stock clutch in how it feels etc? and when upgrading the IRS, im doing this to prevent so much weight disribution from acceleration? or?

thanks again guys!

Old 03-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

on the IRS the diff cover is very weak and the bouncing that is cuased form wheel hop makes it prone to breakage. i would put a billetflow brace on it right away. i broke a diff cover on mine 2 summers ago.

not too sure on how the clutch will be, i had a stock one in my car up till now. i put in a RAM street dual 300 seriesand a 26 spline input shaftbut have not driven it since then.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:46 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I went from stock to a spec 3... the pedal was still heavy, but MUCH lighter.. there was actually a bit of time where i thought they installed a different clutch... the spec 3 was very nice... but I didn't go with the 26 spline, since it was under a TSB and that would've changed my clutch job from just paying for parts.. to paying for parts AND labor.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

and you upgrade the IRS because if you don't you run a real risk of snapping halfshafts... Happens to a lot of Cobra guys... get at least the brace.. and a lot of people get new bushings and what not... Just remember, if you start hopping IMMEDIATLY let us the gas.. DO NOT POWER THROUGH IT!!!!!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

personally i went to a solid axle
Old 03-23-2008, 11:12 PM
AZ SNAKE
2nd Gear Member

I say first mod should be the IRS brace. Broke mine a couple months ago. Swapped it out and did a Solid Axle, big difference. Lots of guys run in the 10's on an IRS. I agree with BlownSVT-do the head cooling mod, Heat exchanger and reservoir. I have a spec3+ and it was a PIA for the first 500 miles but I love it now. Its like a switch on/off only. You will need to do a new shifter for sure, I have a steeda tri ax but alot of guys run a pro 5.0 or the MGW. All are good. The exhaust is a preference thing, go on youtube and streetfire.net and check out sound clips to see what you like best. Bassani is a nice set up though. If you thow in some 3.73s it will make a huge difference, very noticable. And lastly, defiantely lower it. I had Eibach pro kit and it looked sick. I am now on a coil over set up.

Congrats on the new new TERMINATOR. How bout some pics?

Oh, dont forget to get some Drag Radials for the rear, they will help out with the wheel hop.

Quick Reply: My New 03 Cobra