SVT Forums

Repost from differnt section: Brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:02 PM
9694stang

Default Repost from differnt section: Brake problem

Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer. I have a 1996 "Cobra Clone", the whole drive train, computer, interior,brakes etc... is all from a 1996 Cobra. Recently the front brakes were "locking up" causing me to burn up the rotors and hoses. I took the car to a shop to have the brakes replaced and had the 10th Aniversary Cobra calipers and upgraded rotors installed on the front. Both front hoses were changed and I picked up the car. After driving it for about 10 miles the front calipers locked up again. I pulled over and got a tow back to the shop. I was then told it was the Master Cylinder and replaced that with the 1996 Cobra master cylinder. They took the car out for a test drive and it happened again. They told me they don't know what the problem is and can't fix it. The car has ABS disabled. I changed the rear axle to a non ABS 8.8 so there are no exciter rings on the back. I even removed the ABS fuse under the dash and the ABS Fuse under the hood hoping that that would somehow fix this. They shop says it must be the ABS module somehow malfunctioning even though it is not hooked up. When I drove the car home from the shop the brakes started to lock (it does it gradually, like there is pressure building) so I pulled over. I cracked the bleeder on the Master cylinder and the calipers released and I could see the car settle back. After another mile or so I had to stop and do this again. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do? I don't want to buy a new ABS module since the car does not have all of the ABS equipment. Does it sound like it could be the ABS module? Is there anyway it could be the power assist? Is it possible to cut out the ABS module and just run brake line or something? I am really stumped. Thanks for any help.