SVT Forums

buying sn-95 soon

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:28 PM
mattj1234

Default buying sn-95 soon

Im about to buy an sn-95 and i was wondering what i should do between these 2 choices:

1) buy one already supercharged with all the typical mods like exhaust etc, the ones i've found would be about 12,000-14,000

or

2) buy one stock and try and find a used supercharger to put on it, i can find one for about 10,000 stock but idk how much it would cost to supercharged and do up the exhaust and everything.

i want one with less than 50,000 miles on it and i would like to have a full procharger set up(intercooled, bov, and injectors, everything)

which one should i got with? trying to get about 450rwhp and 400ft/lbs of torque
Old 05-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: buying sn-95 soon

well if it depends on money I would say the already blown one, but realize that you WILL run into problems buying one already blown. (thats the reason most people sell their's)

if money is not a huge factor then buy the stock one and supercharge it for about 4k or less and save yourself the hassle with someone else's problem.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:48 PM
mattj1234

can you get a complete kit for under 4k with intercooler and everything?

would i need to buy and upgraded transmission or could i get away with it?

i'll have about 14000-15000 to spend
Old 05-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

umm...you would probably have to rebuild the tranny, but I'm unsure. I do know that you will have a headache if you buy someone else's problem...I mean mustang. Most people sell their supercharged/turbo cars when something is going wrong even though it may not be completely noticable. That happened to me when I bought my 99 Cobra.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:05 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't touch a blown sn95 car...

The reason I wouldn't touch a car with anytype of aftermarket power adder, is because you have more of a chance of buying someones project/trouble, then buying a good car...

I would try to find one that's as stock as possible... That's my advice.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:34 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

The reason I wouldn't touch a car with anytype of aftermarket power adder, is because you have more of a chance of buying someones project/trouble, then buying a good car...

+1, go for as stock as possible. make your own car, dont buy somebody elses. Save yourself the trouble
Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Legally_Blown
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HornyHornyHippo

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

+1, go for as stock as possible. make your own car, dont buy somebody elses. Save yourself the trouble
EXACTLY as I posted in my first post. It's going to be someone else's problem you will end up buying. Biuld your own and you will be the most pleased with the outcome.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:07 PM
limp1969
2nd Gear Member

buyer be ware of any sn 95 car the engines had bad bearings in them from ford I just bought a 98 cobra 54k on the clock. The bottom end was bad had to replace the engine, you on want to find a stock one , make sure the car is not warm when you look at it. A cold start any noises and do not by it. I learned the hard way car was a 10 of 10 it looks so good the car was drove to my work there was no noise at all ran great bought the car worked the next 2 days then started the car and heard a very bad bottom end noise when the car warmed up it was gone . I called the buy and got $2k back so for a 10 of 10 98 cobra I paid $7k
I learned the hard way , on the other hand I was buying it for a DD so I went to ford bought a new motor 100kmile or 3 year warranty parts and labor $5200 so all in all I have a great car now but I dont think I would buy another do your self a favor and buy a 03 or 04 cobra or mach1 they are a small amount of money more than what I paid for my 98 cobra. After looking on ebay at 98 cobra and comparing to what I have people are asking 15k for one in the shape mine is in. I just plan on driving her for a few years it is a rare blue color they made 536 of them
Old 05-25-2008, 01:44 PM
2k6silvergt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mattj1234

can you get a complete kit for under 4k with intercooler and everything?

would i need to buy and upgraded transmission or could i get away with it?

i'll have about 14000-15000 to spend
Definitely. My buddy just got a d1 kit with everything including injectors and maf for his 98 gt for $2800 shipped. You can find good deals on superchargers.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:26 PM
mattj1234

thanks for all the help guys, i'm definately gonna build my own, and i figured that way i know exactly how it's been driven.

I need help picking the kind of supercharger tho, i really don't want to spend more than 4k on the whole setup and i want it intercooled. So, supercharging, piping, 42lb injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, and i think i need a comp. chip. I would like to have a self contained one but prochargers are expensive, i've never tapped into an oil pan before and i'm not sure of the complications that could incure from doing so, but if you guys says it easy then i'm game to try. I'm open to suggestions and i would buy a used one.

Quick Reply: buying sn-95 soon