SVT Forums

'03 Cobra coming home this week!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Importssuk
2nd Gear Member

Default '03 Cobra coming home this week!!!

what's up SVT peeps! I found and purchased an '03 Cobra with low mileage (17k) last Thursday! I am new to the modular world (old head 5.0 pushrod guy ) so I am asking you guys for help on the mod list. I want to max out the bolt-ons for this car before I go and really dive in, lol. So, lay it on me guys, what should I be puttin' on my nice new termie? I know it has a k&n (but it needs to be replaced), and a flowmaster cat-back (aluminized, so it's rusting already), and I *think* it has a smaller pulley on the blower but Ill have to mic it when I get it home (the factory boost gaugeburied way past 10 psi when I got on it during test drive). So far, my list consists of:
Longtubes (BBK?)
O/R H-pipe
new stainless flowmaster kit
new K&N intake
smaller blower pulley (what size should I go with and I ve read that you should upgrade the idler pulley for better belt wrap?)
new plugs (brand? temp range? etc...)
pro5.0 short shifter
drilled and slotted rotors
meth injection
SCT/Diablosport tuner (?)
prothane total bushing kit
gears (ratio???)
I also read about a coolant mod to the back of one of the heads???
upgraded heat exchanger (?)

I have so many questions! what else do I need to basically max out the stock blower/motor combo without getting into heads, cam, blower upgade?? what would be on your bolt-on list?? tell me what I need! suggestions, input, orcriticism welcomed and appreciated!!!

oh and a few pics from the dealer. I put a deposit down and am waiting for the funds to transfer from savings account to checking account. could be as early as tomorrow or not until Thursday. god I freakin hate banks.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

Default RE: '03 Cobra coming home this week!!!

Congrats, needs to be lowered!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Importssuk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02 Ninja

Congrats, needs to be lowered!
indeed! no off-roading in this snake LOL! and thanks!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
jv101
2nd Gear Member

sexy!!
just save up and get a kenne bell supercharger! get rid of the HEATON lol. then get it tuned

thats a nice truck in the backgroud of the last pic too lol
Old 06-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Congrats and it DOES need to be dumped

As xxkazp3rxx said ***HERE*** , learn the car BEFORE you mod it. Don't go getting yourself a big jump in HP and not understand how to use/contain it.

Dumping is actually theSECOND thing I do to a new ride. The first is to pull that stupid little nanny beeper/buzzer out that pokes me in the chest everytime I get in it [:@]

Jaz

Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Congrats on the Terminator...

First, I would find out what pulley size you have there, and a complete mod list of the car. If you're not sure what might or might not be on there, take us some pics of the motor see if we can eye ball anything...

but, if the pulley is on there w/o any cooling - that'd be the first thing i'd do: Head cooling mod, tstat, radiator and heat exchanger... then the intake/exhaust combo... I wouldn't even worry about a twin screw... you can get 500+rwhp on a ported blower/tb from steggy - unless you want 600+i wouldn't even both with the twin screws... These cars really do not need gears either...

http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm

Check out this website - it's CobraBobs 2003/2004 Cobra faq guide - TONS of good info!

I had a basic bolt on 03' Cobra and this was my mod list which was 500+rwhp

Steig stg 3 port w/ported TB plenum
Steeda Intake w/SCT Road tune
Mac O/R H-pipe w/flowmaster catback
MGW shifter 315/35-17 Nittos
2.81 Pulley w/Even Flow Head Cooling Mod
LFP Dual pass Heat Exchanger/Tstat
Spec 3 clutch w/fidanza flywheel

and definatly add a IRS Brace to your mod list - dont wanna bust a half shaft.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:36 AM
2k6silvergt
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on the new car. I would do the exhaust and intake. As far as the pulley you can do a 2.80/2.76 or 2.93 and 4lb lower, and go ahead and change out all of the idlers. NGK are probably the most popular plugs to get. Skip the meth injection, it really isn’t worth it on these cars. You’re definitely going to need a tuner. I would pass on the gears too. The head cooling mod and heat exchanger are definitely a good idea, as well as, some full length subframe connectors and irs brace. And I'm not sure what tires it has on it but look into Nittos or Mickey Thompsons.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Importssuk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: '03 Cobra coming home this week!!

well, brought her home last night! this car is awesome. gobs of power. I'll try to get some pics up tonight when I get home. thanks for the info guys. I'm sure I'll be asking alot more when the time comed for the mods.
xxkazp3xx - great site thanks for the link!
so far from what I can see, the car has the flowmaster cat back, 'brand X' CAI, and I'm pretty sure an upper pulley. I'll try to pop off the guard tonight an measure it w/ calpiers or a mic. I do know when I hit around 5500+ RPM's I get some serious belt slippage.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:52 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Default RE

if you're getting belt slip you probably have a 2.76 or 2.81 if not a 2.65... but measure the pulley ASAP, and if it's not stock...

GO RIGHT TO A DYNO AND CHECK THE A/F!!! IF YOU GO WOT WITH A BAD A/F YOU WILL BLOW THE MOTOR!! I CANNOT STRESS THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS!!!

We had another Terminator owner come in here and his pullied Terminator A/F was so outta whack we were dumbfounded how it didn't blow... Definatly check that out ASAP!