SVT Forums

04 ticking and sqeaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:55 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

Default 04 ticking and sqeaking

Iv put less then 700 miles on my 04 cobra, came from a toyota dealership used with only 10,680 miles on it. I have put in a short shifter, a diablosport tune, and put new rims on the car. Recently i notice that when i acelerate is when i hear the ticking, and not when im just coasting in nuetral. Its harder to hear as the rmps eventually drown out the sound, but it sounds like a clicking/ticking. At times it also sounds squeaky, almost like a hoard of crickets. Also, my last concern is how loud the tranny is. I can hear the thud of the gears engaging, as well as the gears fairly loudly from the cockpit. Im at work, so i dont have time to fully describe the situation, but i figure somehting is better then nothing

I have a 3,000 mile/3 month warrenty, but id rather not drive 3.5 hours to drop the car off unless i have to.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:21 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 04 ticking and sqeaking

also forgot to mention. That at times starting the car is a little different each time. The sound and time length it takes to start up differs
Old 07-03-2008, 03:54 PM
ACSViper
1st Gear Member

i'm a new cobra owner myself, so i cannot give much advice. but i can say i experience the thud of gear engagement myself. i've been trying different things to see what happens, and i just recently noticed shifting at higher rpm's kind of gets rid of the clunks. i still hear a lot of gear whine out of my shifter, even with one of bob's gaskets. the ticking, all i can say is ive heard of the issue with the cobra heads. cant really say that is what it is, but maybe look into it.

oh, the startup is also weird for me. i kind of just shrugged it off as: its a high performance engine, it doesnt like to be cold, so it might be a little odd on startup. correct me someone if im wrong
Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

Thats how i feel with the start up. And i have no problem driving to drop my car off for a garruentied fix, but id rather not drive the drive 4 times if its something i can do myself.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:20 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

The clunk is in the drivetrain.. when I had my Cobra ford had to rebuild it (under warranty for me), others have told me that it costs 1-200 bucks... THey had to replace some bearings, and some other ****... I can't remember exactly.

The ticking you hear... how loud is it? The injectors are pretty loud - the other thing it could be is the head tick... typically, the head tick you can hear with the windows up.. the injectors you cant.... also the other tick that I personally heard was from my a/c. Does it only do it when the a/c is on?? If so, it's the plastic lining in the a/c, and you'll need a new a/c compressor.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:21 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

as far as the start up.. that could be your alternator... they suck on this car, and I had problems with mine as well.. if you're driving and all of a sudden yout t/c turns off and your ABS light comes on... better go buy a new alternator.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

The thunk and all the sound you hear from shifting, I had the samething. I bought the mgw shifter, the mgw shifter boot & cobra bob's shifter gasket and now i hear no shifting at all or any road noise. Our trans are loud!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 PM
HornyHornyHippo
5th Gear Member

Ya the tranny thunk doesnt worry me. As far as the ticking is concerned, i can only hear it when my windows are down, and people outside the car hear it pretty clearly.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:18 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

The transmission clunk is the drivetrain.. it's a known issue... the fact that youcan't hear it anymore is just because you drowned out the sound.. but it's still happening unless it was fixed.

The ticking is probably the injectors... without hearing it, it's really hard to diagnose what the ticking really is... but you didn't answer my question; does it happen only when the a/c is on? or all the time?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

What is it that needs to be fixed so I know? (for the clunking in the trans)

Quick Reply: 04 ticking and sqeaking